PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Introduction

bcbennett
06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi all,

I am Cole Bennett, an English professor in Abilene, Texas. I bought a '74 Triumph TR6 in 1990, put it into indoor storage until last year, and have just now brought it out. I had the engine and transmission rebuilt by a professional British shop, but I am trying to do the rest myself---slowly! The hydraulics work fine (after the replacing of a few master cylinders!) and the car is great, but a lot of interior work still to do. Fortunately, the body is wonderful.

Just wanted to say hello and join the conversation.

sammyb
06-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Howdy Cole, good to have you here.

Since I lived in Houston for a tad over three years, it's a moral imperative that I make the wisecrack: "You can tell the English teachers from the rest of West Texans, because they're the ones that use an apostrophe when writing 'y'all'!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

06-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Welcome along for the ride, Cole. I think that you will find this forum to be quite informative and mild mannered. From what you have described, a really solid TR6 that has been properly stored for 15 years, you have an easy and joyful restoration ahead of you. Solid LBC's are getting harder and harder to come by. Jump right in with questions. If we don't know the answers, we will make them up. The biggest challenge is to find vendors that will supply you with quality parts at a reasonable price. Everything on the TR6 is available. I feel that the ultimate college prof car is the TR6. You are almost there.

Bill

Geo Hahn
06-05-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I am trying to do the rest myself---slowly!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need a goal... I believe the 2006 VTR convention will be in Dallas (which is probably as close to you as it will ever be). Welcome to the forum, there's lots of good discussion here.

Basil
06-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Welcome aboard Cole! Glad to see you figured out the posting thing!

Cheers,
Basil

waltesefalcon
06-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Welcome aboard Cole, from another TR enthusiast and future professor (hopefully). Enjoy the place.

ObiRichKanobi
06-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Welcome from one of the resident wedgeheads!!!

Banjo
06-06-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome from one of the resident wedgeheads!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey! They need to come up with a hat for you guys... Ya'know, like that "cheese head " thing they have in Wisconson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
Oh yea, Welcome to the "ward" Hope you can put up with my awful spelling, "Teach'".

jerrybny
06-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Wlecome aboard Cole. This place is a great source of information.

Mark_Gibson
06-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Welcome to the forum Cole. I have a 1970 TR-6 and have enjoyed it from the day I bought it for 700 dollars, 15 years ago! This is a great place for advice, as many of us have just completed or are in the process of various restoration efforts.

Mark

urchin
06-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Cole and welcome to the Triumph forum. Before I took my current position, I worked at the University of Vermont as a faculty member in History and and administrator for many years. While I was struggling with old Spitfires, and MG Midget and a very rusty Fiat Spider [weren't they all?] as year-round cars, the chair of the German & Russian Department adored his TR-6, a summer only car. So, too, did a member of the Medical School Surgery Department, whose TR-6 never ran with the top up as his summer only car.

I've bypassed the TR-6 by jumping from my Spitfires to my current '80 TR-7 DHC, which I adore madly. Still, it's hard not to admire the feel, look and sound of the TR-6. Welcome aboard!

Jeff

Dale
06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey it's nice to be on again in time to welcome a new guy. So welcome from another wedge head.

Simon TR4a
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Welcome, Cole! You will need a flat cap, though these may be difficult to obtain in Texas!
Or perhaps you're not an English professor, but a professor of English :-)
In either case I look forward to having my grammar corrected!
Simon.

Andy Blackley
06-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Welcome Cole: I am in a similar situation. The PO of my TR250 brought it up north from Abilene about ten years ago, and its been in dry storage since too. I bought it in late March and after several intense months of mechanical rehab of the running gear, its finally road ready. Thank God for the kind weather down there! The body is in great condition, almost as good as my old MGB that came from southern Arizona. I'd much rather fix rear axles than body work. If you haven't done so yet check the rear differential mounts for cracking. I was lucky and caught mine with "only" one crack across the front right mount.