PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 luggage rack origin

JoeC
06-04-2005, 06:11 PM
O.K. all of you TR6 experts (I am not one of them), help me identify what's original and what's not.

After seeing photo after photo of TR6s, I know that my luggage rack is not from a TR6. Do you guys think its off of an MGB?

Also, I don't believe that a passenger side mirror was original either...especially one that is a larger diameter (see attachment photo). The guy I bought the car from said he believes that both (luggage rack and mirror) are original!!?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

06-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Joe, the PO was smoking something, or blowing it. Bullit-style rearview mirrors were a dealer installed option, and never did they put them on the passenger side. None of them can be adjusted for the driver to see. Just window dressing. The larger mirror (passenger on your car) is one of the two sizes offered. I butchered mine, intent on making it functional, to no avail. I saw these on a Euro-TR and found that they were installed for the European market only. Moss-UK had one pair left in stock. Two phone calls and three emails later, I got them. And the passenger side is functional. I didn't mean to Bogart your post.

Bill https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/billkaram/mirror.jpg

JoeC
06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Great close-up of the mirror Bill...thanks. I wouldn't call myself a real purist, but I would like as much original as possible.

Joe

ObiRichKanobi
06-04-2005, 09:38 PM
That luggage rack looks like the one on my TR7, only it looks like it has more of an arch than mine does.

Paul Johnson
06-05-2005, 11:19 AM
It's not possible to talk about 'original' as regards these pieces. Each distributor in the country was privately owned, and parts were not consistent. Where I worked, at the port of entry in New Orleans, we covered essentially the central part of the country. All racks, mirrors and radios were installed at the port. Bullet type mirrors were put on the left only. The rack you show looks like an MGB version.
So original in the sense of how it left the factory, means there was no mirror, rack, striping kit, trim rings, radio or air conditioning system.

Banjo
06-05-2005, 11:59 PM
The rack is Definatily an MGB rack. TR6s had a rack that was built the same but was flatter and wider. That one you have pictured would fit the contour of a "B" boot just right.