PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Spitfire underbonnet emergency light

myspitfire
06-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Group!Does anyone have firsthand experience with an underbonnet emergency light?the kind that has a detachable bulb on an extension cord with a switch & a long green cord for lurking around under the bonnet.Has Lucas on it?TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

06-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Thats a great idea for these cars, its a useful accessory. My 280ZX had one of those from the factory, it was mounted back up on the firewall, just inboard of the brake master cylinder and the cord was plenty long enough to reach up to the front of the engine bay. The fixed part of the housing had a little toggle switch on the back, simply flip the switch, grab the front half of the housing, twist, and the whole thing came out on the cord. If you're not a freak for originality you could probably get one from a Datsun/Nissan restoration parts supplier, as I think all the later Z cars used these things. Maybe Lucas made the one that Datsun/Nissan used?

dklawson
06-05-2005, 12:00 PM
You can install something like that, but you could just as easily make up a similar item yourself and use alligator clips to connect it temporarily to power under the bonnet when needed. I keep a test lamp in the boot and I've used that for under-hood illumination when I've needed it.