PDA

View Full Version : dash knob installation

matscar
05-31-2005, 01:35 AM
im having a hard time refiting these knobs on the choke, heater, rheostat etc. In fact have broken the latter by pushing too hard in an attempt to slide it far enough so the pop pin engages the hole on the lever. Is there a trick to this, I suspect lubricant would help but am hesitant to use it, will warming the knobs in hot water help ?
Also Re the drain tubes that should be extended behind the front wings. What is the easiest way to get to them?
I want to replace all the instrument bulbs while the dash is out and cant find any at my local stores (Kragen etc) before i call moss to order them anyone know who might have these in stock in So Cal.
Lastly on a 69 tr6 I found only one of the 2 red warning lights between the guages in use, the second bulb holder was present but taped to the harness- I think its the one for the brake pressure warning light. Should this be present on my car and if so where is it-thanks in advance

71tr
05-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Regarding the drain tubes behind the front wings. The only way to access these is to remove the front wings. Its not a difficult process, just detach all the retaining bolts, including those hidden behind the door jamb area. Once the wing is off you have complete access to the drain tubes and rocker panel. Just drill a couple of holes, apply a sealing grommet and extend the tube thru the holes so it drains beneath the car. While you're in there you shoudl also address any rust issues on the inside wing panels.

Mark_Gibson
05-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Matt,

The key to getting the dash knobs in is to make sure the spring loaded ball on the shaft is free to move. Those often get frozen and then no amount of pushing will get the knobs on. In extreme cases, it requires replacing the control cable to get this fixed. Also, make sure the indented part of the knob lines up with that spring loaded ball as you try to press it on. As for the brake pressure warning light, it should be present on your car and as you look at the dash, it is the socket on the right (the left one is the hazard flasher). The Roadster Factory Stocks all of the bulbs you need, if you need them. Good luck,

Mark

TR4MAN
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
I found all the bulbs I needed at my local Radio Shack.