• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 53

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Probably made a mistake buying thisthing but as my botched knee replacement keeps me from getting into my 57 A Coupe(have a buyer) I figured this TD will let me get in it. I bought it without seeing it but sent a friend to pick it up after walking him through what to look. Was very reasonable and the lady agreed. So after a 2200 mile round trip I got it. I Have two Bs, one with a V-6 and my 69 CGT..butalways wanted a TD. I'm going to be asking lots of question so be prepared.. Thx.

Attachments

• 20230801_152352.jpg
    20230801_152352.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38

Louis 52MGTD

Country flag
like you, I thought I maybe made a mistake after I bought my 1952 MGTD a few months ago. I knew nothing about these little cars, I have always had VW beetles for hobby cars, I still have two of them to play with. But, the more I work on my MG the more I like it and it is fun to drive, and I love the sound of it. as far as being easy to get in and out it's still not that easy although with the top down it is a lot better, I have always liked the looks of the TD's over the newer models.
Here's a pic. of mine, it still needs some prob's worked out, I have fixed them all but one, 1st gear.

Attachments

• DSC04632.JPG
    DSC04632.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the TD, Jack. Lovely little cars.

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do believe the correct engine is not in my car. I have no oil pressure and the only thing I can find in two different books is that the pump isn't primed...okay the book shows a brass plug in the pump cover(not there). So dug thru some of the extra parts and there it was. It has a passageway so when you pull the plug you can pour oil I the hole with a very small tube then use the hand crank to fill it. I'll bite...has anyone ever had to do this? I guess I'll have to disconnect the steering column, disconnect the front eng mount and lift the front of engine to get the pup high enough to clear the frame. Any thoughts? Thx

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I haven't had any replies here so I went to some TD sites and have just gotten numerous replies, but still fairly confused. I no doubt have overthought it so until I can actually talk face to face with someone about it, I guess I'll wrap it up and stick it in a corner of my shop. If I don't get it fixed efore taking off for Florida for part of the winter I am try to find a new home for it. Found a home or my A Coupe and have a guy kinda local wanting my CGT. Hate to but never drive them anyways

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
like you, I thought I maybe made a mistake after I bought my 1952 MGTD a few months ago. I knew nothing about these little cars, I have always had VW beetles for hobby cars, I still have two of them to play with. But, the more I work on my MG the more I like it and it is fun to drive, and I love the sound of it. as far as being easy to get in and out it's still not that easy although with the top down it is a lot better, I have always liked the looks of the TD's over the newer models.
Here's a pic. of mine, it still needs some prob's worked out, I have fixed them all but one, 1st gear.
Beautiful looking paint job! (y) PJ

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I haven't had any replies here so I went to some TD sites and have just gotten numerous replies, but still fairly confused. I no doubt have overthought it so until I can actually talk face to face with someone about it, I guess I'll wrap it up and stick it in a corner of my shop. If I don't get it fixed efore taking off for Florida for part of the winter I am try to find a new home for it. Found a home or my A Coupe and have a guy kinda local wanting my CGT. Hate to but never drive them anyways
Hi Jack,
Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. I have owned 2 TDs (still have a 52 and also a TC project) and I just finished an extensive restoration on a 53 TD. Always willing to provide some email,text,PM help when I can. Been helping a local kid with his TF too and I enjoy solving problems.
Vince

Attachments

• 20220410_115206.jpg
    20220410_115206.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220410_115217.jpg
    20220410_115217.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220501_093926.jpg
    20220501_093926.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great...Thx. Have had Brit cars since the mid 60s(Morris Minor vert was my first) lots of MGs. Have a A coupe, couple of Bs..one of those is a 73 wit a Ford Colnge V-6. A 69 CGT I've ad sine 86. This TD is a total different bird.

Attachments

• 20230819_155450.jpg
    20230819_155450.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27