• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 What is this

titanfan10

Bronze
Country flag
Some of you Triumph experts out there tell me what this is? Looks kinda like positive ground, I had a TR4 that was positive ground but I did not know TR6s could be if that is what this is. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• McKinney2.jpg
    McKinney2.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 104

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And about as hooptie a switch as ever seen.

Outside a Frankenstein movie, anyway.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Holy Toledo, that's an ol' fashioned knife switch! I guess it works, but there's a lot of exposed 12V there, just waiting for a wrench to be dropped on it. I'd get rid of it, if it were my car. There are much better options, if you need a cutoff switch.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
There are much better options, if you need a cutoff switch.
Curious what switches folks are using? Switches that connect directly to the battery terminal seem pretty robust / reliable (i.e. simple). But they require opening the hood each time for use. Are there good "remote" switches that perhaps use a locally powered solenoid?

Another option could be to run heavy wire from battery to a convenient spot in the cabin and back. But this does not strike me as a good idea...?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree, that’s an accident waiting to happen. Exposed 12v contacts. The only good thing is if you drop a tool it will be welded to the car right where you dropped it ;)

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is what I use on the neg post of the battery.

tempImage1cdtKK.jpg

Tr6easyrider

Country flag
If you don't want Chinese try American made...
If you use Amazon:
Or buy direct, They use E-bay ( both have free shipping)

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We put "master" cutoff switches in both the Elans in the trunk near the battery, the Hella ones with the red detachable key. A second somewhat less hidden switch in the dash of the S-3 (Lucas SPST matching all the others) as a fuel pump cutoff. Both as a safety item and a carjacker would have to know which switches to turn on if they wanted to get very far... :devilgrin:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
You can mount something like this so the key extends into the passenger compartment, under the dash. The PO of my car had a similar one. The key was removable, so it offered a modicum of security.
https://www.amazon.com/BANG4BUCK-Master-Battery-Disconnect-Contacts/dp/B071YMFMH5/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1HE6FRVSQJ2O4&keywords=battery+cutoff+switch&qid=1654188412&s=automotive&sprefix=batery+cutoff,automotive,131&sr=1-20&th=1
That type looks great. When I get there I'll find something like that. and mount in the cabin. Thanks!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I use Gliderman's green switch on the Alfa. I leave the trunk lid ajar between drives. The battery was going dead after two weeks of inactivity. On my 1953 MG TD that I restored my self, I put a cutoff switch under the dash and out of sight.