• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hardtop question... Spridget related

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Will a hardtop from a 78 midget fit on a 66 midget/sprite? Came across one and I've been looking for awhile for a hardtop for my 66 sprite. Thanks in advance

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
others will wade in, but, fairly certain - no.

nomad

Yoda
To wade in....definitely not! [I have the early cars and early hardtop]

Kurt.

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, I figured it was worth a try... I'll keep looking I guess. Getting ready to do some touch up paint on the sprite in a few days so a hardtop would be outstanding while I'm at it.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
A MKIII midget hardtop will fit a 1500, but not a MK II.

The rear cutout is different because the MKII had a completely detachable soft top. All subsequent models had the attached folding top.

This photo (taken from another site) is a good illustration of the difference.

https://www.mgexp.com/phile/3/145205/midget_top_corners.jpg

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
so going by that info and this pic, which top should I be looking for, as far as years go? I'd hate to buy the wrong one...

nomad

Yoda
Mk2 Midget, Mk3 Sprite. Cars mid 64 with roll up windows through 66 before the permanently attached soft top.

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
BTW love that pick - with the shifter and the blower just behind the windshield - ooof!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
It isn't perfectly correct but the later top will fit and work on the earlier car. the back edge won't seal well but it will stay on at speed and it will keep rain/snow out of the cockpit.
BillM

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I took the blower off and am actually repainting the car as we speak... I got tired of doing wheel stands everywhere. I'm still looking for a hardtop... Maybe another one will pop up sometime.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I took the blower off and am actually repainting the car as we speak... I got tired of doing wheel stands everywhere. I'm still looking for a hardtop... Maybe another one will pop up sometime.

Hardtops are not especially rare - keep us posted please with pics - I think this is likely the most insane build on BCF - and I love it!

nomad

Yoda
Hardtops are not especially rare - keep us posted please with pics - I think this is likely the most insane build on BCF - and I love it!

X2!!

Craigs list and E-bay and I'm sure you will find one. Notice you don't have the cleats for the soft top. Have you got one?? I have a frame if you need it.

Kurt.

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ive got all the old soft top stuff... Its just not really my cup of tea. I'd rather have a hardtop for cold weather times. Plus I think they look better.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Depends...

Due to the confusion/discrepancies between build date and first registration date, it depends on which it actually is. '66 was a transition year between fold down (removable top) and convertible (permanently attached fold-down top), it's depends on which type top you're considering. The two look similar, but are not interchangeable. If you have pictures of the top or the car it's from, I can help ID it.

The key to the difference is the rear cockpit area; beginning with HAN9 ('66 onward) has the larger opening with the raised cockpit surround, and HAN8 shorter, flat cockpit surround (like yours).

Below is early (fits HAN8) and late (fits HAN9), respectively.

IMAG0765 copy.jpgIMAG0766.jpg

Been awhile since I've been in this thread... would a 67 sprite hard top fit on a 64-66 era sprite?

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There's a funny little notch on the Mark III (Sprite) top that's not there on the earlier cars. (to fit around the chrome surround). I have a top I would be willing to part with if you take the car with it! Buy the top for $7000 and get a free car? and a tonneau, and a soft top too. If this post violates selling rules.. my bad. (see my add in the for sale! I was asking $8k)