• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire My first Spitfire

sbrmalott

Freshman Member
An elderly neighbor had this in his barn for 20+ years. Needs lots of work.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 121

dklawson

Yoda
Welcome. May you get the car on the road without emptying your wallet.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Is that a 74? Looks like an excellent project! I always like the Spits. One of our former friends had a new one, SHE loved it! PJ

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Is that a 74? Looks like an excellent project! I always like the Spits. One of our former friends had a new one, SHE loved it! PJ
Do I detect an inference that the Spitfire is a girls car?

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Looks like a good cleaning and sorting will make it a good driver. Congrats and happy motoring.

OP
S

sbrmalott

Freshman Member
Looks like a good cleaning and sorting will make it a good driver. Congrats and happy motoring.

Thanks. Its going to need a lot of work on the engine. From what i can tell from pic's on the net the previous owner installed Dual SU HS-4s but never hooked them up. As well as other wonderful half done things that i have no idea where to start. But at least it will keep me busy.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Do I detect an inference that the Spitfire is a girls car?

Not really, but she looked pretty sharp behind the wheel, even not behind the wheel! :jester:

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I drove a Jeep Liberty for years, also considered a "girls" vehicle. Had a blast driving over things.....as for the Spit, you're in the game - let others think whatever they want! Congrats!!!

OP
S

sbrmalott

Freshman Member
So Question No. 1. Where does the vacuum line go from the distributor if there is no Thermostatic Vacuum (TSV) Switch that i can see?

dklawson

Yoda
For now... plug the vacuum line. Worry about it later.

At this point focus only on checking the engine and getting it ready to be started. Since it sounds like the engine has not run in 20+ years, start with mechanical things.
Mark and remove the spark plugs.
Make sure the engine is not seized from years of sitting. Find a very large wrench and put it on the front pulley nut. With the gearbox in neutral, turn the engine clockwise (looking at the pulley).
If the engine turns over with the big wrench, change the oil and antifreeze. If it does not turn over with the wrench post back here and let us know.
With fresh oil and a charged battery, remove the spark plugs so there is no compression and turn the engine over on the starter until you see the engine has developed oil pressure.

Once you have gotten to that point post back. You will need to go through the ignition system, set the static timing, and do some basic carb checks and adjustments.

With a car that has been off the road for 20+ years, plan on rebuilding the brakes and replacing several brake components.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome, these are fun cars. Enjoy the process of get her sorted out, and as you have already found lots of good people here.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
S

sbrmalott

Freshman Member
Thanks for the advise dklawson. I made sure the engine turned over before i bought it so we know that is good. The last owner put on Dual SU HS-4s but never hooked them up. No fuel line from the pump to them. No wire going to the distributor or vacuum. Keys were lost a long time ago so his son cut the lock off and got keys made but never put it back on. I need to drill out whats left of the screws and find some more. Im sure there's more but that's all i can think of right now. Lots to do before i get to start her. :(

dklawson

Yoda
The last owner put on Dual SU HS-4s but never hooked them up.

No wire going to the distributor or vacuum.

Keys were lost a long time ago so his son cut the lock off and got keys made but never put it back on. I need to drill out whats left of the screws and find some more.

There are basic settings for SUs that will get things close enough to get the engine started. Since the carbs sat for a long time, you will need to go through them making at least a cursory cleaning and to make sure all the parts move freely. Be sure to open up the float bowls, clean out the crud, and inspect/set the float valves.

There were a couple of different distributors used over the years and you mentioned that your engine is not original to the car. Post back with which distributor you have and I am sure one of us here can advise you on basic connections to get it wired up. Also mark and remove the wires from the coil long enough to measure the resistance across the coil terminals and let us know what it measures. Pictures help also.

So is the lock on the steering column, half on the column? The locking steering columns used a lock that is secured using shear-off tamper-proof bolts. The easiest thing to do is take a thin cut off wheel and cut a screwdriver slot in what's left of the bolt heads. Use a screwdriver or impact driver to remove them. When putting the lock back on the column, do not bother with the tamper-proof bolts. Buy regular 5/16-18 (UNC) socket head cap screws. They will thread right in and you will be able to install and remove the lock as many times as you want. The tamper-proof screws were probably a great idea at one time but are really annoying when working on these cars. If the lock is off and not on the column, connect it electrically and just use it as is until you are ready to start driving he car. Some owners buy an earlier dash-mounted switch and move the wiring there to do away with the steering column mounted lock altogether.

OP
S

sbrmalott

Freshman Member
Spitfire 002.jpgSpitfire 003.jpgSpitfire 004.jpg

Some Photos of the mess I'm in :smile:
Just changed the oil and it looked new and didn't smell burnt which i guess is a good thing.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
sbrmalott. You have lots of fun in the future, but get a metal pipe for the fuel hose that goes from the pump to the carbs, not a good idea on the rubber. Have a look at some photos of the Spite's and you will see the routing, along with a clamp that goes to the top of the thermostat housing.
Wayne