• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB What parts are in most demand?

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I ran into a gent from the UK this week who buys parts here in the US and ships them back to the UK for sale. Mostly he buys the metal parts of MGs (doors, trunk lids, metal dashes, etc.). He ships a container full of these parts once or twice a year. He states that these parts are in high demand in the UK to replace rusted out ones.

My question to you all is what parts do you think are in high demand here in the US? is it overdrive transmissions? sheet metal parts? engine parts?

The guy in the UK says that overdrive transmissions aren't in great demand in the UK and you can buy one used for about $300. Seems to me that if this is the case and overdrives are in great demand here in the US there might be a good business in buying them in the UK and shipping them back here to the states. What's your opinion?

Thanks

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
yeah, but they drive on the left so all the shifters will be worn out on the wrong side :jester:

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Had this discussion awhile back and a month ago OD transmissions were selling for £50-75 on ebayUK. Shipping made it too costly to bring them in one at a time and I passed on several. People are asking crazy prices for ODs over here and the market is in the $500 range IMHO. I passed on a couple for $550 that were local or on my route...nice to have, but not necessary.
Rut

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Rut for the info. $550 is a great price. Here in California I've seen them listed for $900-$1100, but I don't know if they really sold for that. Just an overdrive unit for a late model B sells for $895 on Moss, that includes a $200 core charge so if you are replacing a unit that would make Moss' $695. Moss does have a Ford T-5 conversion trans for a B but at over $4K it doesn't make much sense, so buying a good used B overdrive trans for even a grand is a better choice wouldn't you agree?

I was thinking that shipping over a container of ODs would make sense, but if there isn't a great demand here and they wouldn't sell for close to a grand then it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your input.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sadly, (and seriously now) I think while the transmissions are in demand, both the shipping to this continent and then the shipping across would br prohibative. Especially without also refreshing the transmission - another cost.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks JP for your input. My dreams of being the Overdrive King have been dashed yet again. BTW, your previous comment was funny, just not helpful.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
JP, FUNNY??? I guess I have a peculiar sense of humor. :rolleyes: JP, you need to be more helpful! LOL :highly_amused: PJ