• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to the site and to the sprite.

bansheedave

The wife and I picked up her mom's old 66 healey sprite. It was sitting for roughly 35 years. It had some body work done on it in the past and not very well. A slight rear end hit for the most part. But it has the typical healey rust. Bondo in the rocker did not help and nether did the wild animals. It was in a barn on dry cement, but a leaky roof and animal body fluids took their toll. So far it came apart pretty easy. I've bagged and cataloged the parts. I know what I need and what all needs replacement. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_8058.jpg
    IMG_8058.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_47041.jpg
    IMG_47041.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 92

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF. You'll find all kinds of friendly, helpful people here. Your car looks rough but restorable, although the engine seems smaller than I remember Sprite engines.:jester:

(I assume you have the engine somewhere?)

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Welcome! Sprites are a great way to get into the hobby. Simple and affordable. If you see it through to completion, you'll have gained something worth more than the monetary value.

OP
B

bansheedave

I have both the motor and transmission. They were removed years ago for a new clutch and never reinstalled. Sad part is, the motor is now locked up so a complete overhaul is in order.

I like working on with my hands and this car will be a thing the wife and I can enjoy together. It's a simple car from what I can see. I like that..lol the cars I assemble for work are stupid complex compared to this.

OP
B

bansheedave

One question I do have off the top of my head. How do you remove the nuts from the windshield wiper wheelbox? I tried removing the nut and the whole assembly began to move.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I assume you're talking about the nut holding the wheelbox into the front cowling in front of the windshield? If so, I think it should only be able to turn as much as the wiper cable can flex, which shouldn't be a lot. I would spray a little Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster on the nut and try again. If there's still too much movement you might try having someone hold the wheelbox under the dash so it can't turn.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome aboard! You definitely found THE right place to come to on the internet. I just got on the Sprite bandwagon about 15 months myself ago with a '69 Sprite. Prior to purchasing the Sprite, the most I had ever done was change the oil. Your instincts that this is a simple car to work on is dead on. I've done a ton of work, including replacing the head gasket, exhaust, water pump, top...the list goes on and on. It's also a huge plus to have the kind of knowledge base that there is on this forum. I don't think I've come up with any question that someone didn't have the answer for. Love the color of your Sprite. You don't see too many in that color. Hope you'll keep it that way!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome indeed - and, I ended up carefully cutting and splitting the nut - cut with a hacksaw but not close enough to the threads of the wiper - new nuts are inexpensive enough to make them not worth saving

OP
B

bansheedave

Thanks for the kind words. In reference to the color, it is not original and both the wife and I do not like the color. The original color was white and no, we won't be going back to white. We chose a nice metallic blue that is on the 2014-15 ford f-150.

I like the idea of cutting off the nuts. I will try to remove them one more time. If they don't budge, I will break out the nut splitter. Thank you for the idea.

OP
B

bansheedave

Been working on some poor collision damage. Instead of it being hammered out correctly, it was filled with thick bondo. I'll smooth everything out the best I can before I soda blast the entire car. Just doing what I can while can at this time.

Attachments

• 20141027_191328.jpg
    20141027_191328.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 74

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome and best of luck with your Spridget project! It's neat that it has been in your family for so long.

Sorry to hear the engine is "stuck". I hope a full disassembly and perhaps having it "boiled" will clean things up (I had a one a few years ago that was too far gone.....but one of my current race motors was also stuck and, with effort, I was able to get it running fine).

I'm a big fan of the old-style steel wheels and hub caps......I hope you keep them on the car.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words. In reference to the color, it is not original and both the wife and I do not like the color. The original color was white and no, we won't be going back to white. We chose a nice metallic blue that is on the 2014-15 ford f-150.

I like the idea of cutting off the nuts. I will try to remove them one more time. If they don't budge, I will break out the nut splitter. Thank you for the idea.

You won't likely need the splitter - the nut is pretty soft. I think I just used a hacksaw blade, (a dremel could work too) and then a sharp twist in the cut with a screwdriver and Bob's your uncle! Sounds like a nice colour choice BTW.

I presume, in addition to manuals, you have connected with Moss Motors and Victoria British Motors? (Parts suppliers) They basically sell the same parts - Moss has the knowledge base that VB doesn't, but, VB has a pretty impressive sale in january. The Little British Car Company is in Michigan and (I think) has better prices than Moss typically does https://www.lbcarco.com/

Once again, you are in the right place. Oh, and, even with family heritage, it may be easier to find another engine - they are relatively common, fairly cheap and there really is no such thing as a "matching numbers car" anyways.

OP
B

bansheedave

Thanks for the links. Thy will come in handy for sure. I really like this forum. Very helpful and very friendly, knowledgeable people here.

I have both Moss and VB catalogs. I have my wish list filled out.

OP
B

bansheedave

Welcome and best of luck with your Spridget project! It's neat that it has been in your family for so long.

Sorry to hear the engine is "stuck". I hope a full disassembly and perhaps having it "boiled" will clean things up (I had a one a few years ago that was too far gone.....but one of my current race motors was also stuck and, with effort, I was able to get it running fine).

I'm a big fan of the old-style steel wheels and hub caps......I hope you keep them on the car.
yes, I will be keeping the steel wheels and hub caps. They are pretty cool and should clean up nicely.

Last edited:

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! You won't find a nicer and more helpful group of enthusiasts anywhere. I've been here for about 5 years now, now without a car, and the wonderful people here are helping me find another, going as far as to inspect cars on my behalf. How awesome is that!

OP
B

bansheedave

Welcome to the forum! You won't find a nicer and more helpful group of enthusiasts anywhere. I've been here for about 5 years now, now without a car, and the wonderful people here are helping me find another, going as far as to inspect cars on my behalf. How awesome is that!
now that IS awesome. Hope you can find a car you will enjoy once again.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
yes, I will be keeping the steel wheels and hub caps. They are pretty cool and should clean up nicely.

Sounds like a man with a plan. There are a lot of options rebuilding a Sprite. It can get crazy. A plan helps keep it in control. They lend themselves to personalization. Just about anything is acceptable .
Delayed gratification is a lost art. Enjoy the process.
Keep the pics coming.
It is a BIG plus the wife is on board.
:encouragement:

OP
B

bansheedave

I've been doing what I can on the current body. Been grinding out bondo on the tail panel and around the tail lights. Been pounding out the sheet metal and getting it back to original shape the best I can. I do have hammers and dollies to do the work correctly. I want to use the least amount of filler I can. This car wasn't hit to hard but enough to make this a pain...lol also started getting the trunk lid edges flush with the body the best I can. I need to grind and weld the edges to get a nice gap. I have to do the same thing with the drivers door. Trying to get this done before I b race the body.

OP
B

bansheedave

When I go to tackle the rockers and floors, what do you recommend, do the rockers first than the floor or the floor first than the rockers? Or do it all in one shot. The car will have braces welded to the body inside and on a rotisserie.