• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving Lamps - how to tighten?

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
I have two Lucas tripod driving lamps mounted via clamps on the badge bar of my BJ8. Trouble is that they refuse to remain in position. I have tightened the clamps multiple times and am fearful of going too far and breaking the clamps. Has anyone dealt with this successfully before?
thanks
Steve

Bobbydsport

Steve I've never had to deal with driving lights but in similar situations I have put a wrap of rubber tape around what ever bar I was clamping to in order to give the clamp something to bite into.It usually only takes one or two wraps.I'm sure others will have other solutions.

Bobbyd

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Steve.
I believe that your setup and mine mount different. My NOS Lucas- lamps have threaded stems on them and mount to small plates welded to the bar. No problem in many years using this set up.--FWIW

Last edited:

stevebt7

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
I had the same problem with my Bosch driving lights. The rubber tape will work but I cured mine with a strip of old inner tube placed between the lamp clamp and the badge bar. Cut to the same size as the clamp, it really can't be seen unless you look closely. If your lights use the clamp/badge bar for the electrical ground, i.e., only one wire from the light, you'll have to connect another wire to the ground terminal in the lamp housing and connect it to one of the bumper bolts or other suitable location.

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
Thanks guys. I tried wrapping electrical tape around the badge bar when I first installed them, but the tape bunched up as I tightened. I will give the inner tube idea a try - sounds promising. When I wired them in, I ran both leads to the lights and grounded within the engine bay, so grounding shouldn't be an issue.
steve

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
electrical tape is no good, because when it gets hot the adhesive on the tape actually gets very slippery and it is worse. The inner tube idea is the best.

Bobbydsport

electrical tape is no good, because when it gets hot the adhesive on the tape actually gets very slippery and it is worse. The inner tube idea is the best.
Rubber electrical tape has no adhesive,it only sticks to itself. However the idea got the creative juices of the forum going.Good stuff.

Bobbyd

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
I had the same problem with my Bosch driving lights. The rubber tape will work but I cured mine with a strip of old inner tube placed between the lamp clamp and the badge bar. Cut to the same size as the clamp, it really can't be seen unless you look closely. If your lights use the clamp/badge bar for the electrical ground, i.e., only one wire from the light, you'll have to connect another wire to the ground terminal in the lamp housing and connect it to one of the bumper bolts or other suitable location.

i tried this shortly after you posted it Steve. It has worked perfectly - thanks!
steve