• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Tire and wheel question

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful
TR4 is being restored after the flash flood and it's time for new tires. There are not a lot of options for tires and I'd really like to get a wider wheel, so I can get much better tires and grip. Looking at replacing the wire wheels with the alloy wheels. Any recommendations on tires and tire sizes for these 15 x 51/2 wheels?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have 5 1/2" wheels (wires) that I put on my TR3. I got Vredestien Sprint Classics, 185/70-15 size. Not cheap, but they are great tires. That size will get you very close to the original diameter of the stock 165 tires.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
195 65 15 Bridgestone was a great tire for me. Mine are Potenza, but if they don't make those anymore, I feel that size is perfect. Very close to stock, a bit wider.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
205-60-15 give the same diameter as the original 165-15. My speedometer is spot on with this size. My first set were Bridgestone Potenza's, great tires but no longer available. The unfortunate part is there are not many choices for a performance tire in the 205-60-15 size. I ended up with Sumitomo's and they are OK but not Potenza quality.

OP
Kirk_Fisher

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful
195 65 15 Bridgestone was a great tire for me. Mine are Potenza, but if they don't make those anymore, I feel that size is perfect. Very close to stock, a bit wider.

I painted the wire wheels and they look pretty good, so I may stick with them for now. Really not much tire choice with the 165 though.

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Really not much tire choice with the 165 though.

Lots of choice would be nice but since one of the choices is 165/15 Vredestein Sprint Classics I really don't care what else I might have gotten. Fine tires.

I have seen much larger tires on stock rims -- including a local TR3 with 205s on them. Looked a bit like this -

url

rnpennington

Country flag
I put on the Kumho ties from Discount Tire and have been happy with them. They are 165/80/15 and the price isn't bad 79.00 per tire. I use Discount Tire for all my cars - large network and - in my area - they will mount wire wheels. Not an option at a lot of places.

C

cpike

Wondering if anyone has experience with the new SilverstoneII 15 x 6 alloy wheels and the recommended 195-60 tires on a TR3A?

Last edited:
OP
Kirk_Fisher

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful

You are running wire wheels? 4.5 inches wide?

OP
Kirk_Fisher

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful
Leaning toward the Panasport wheels. Anyone have any issues with clearance with the wider wheel?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Summit Racing has Coker Firestones in 165/15s. I bought 5 for the MG TF at $88.00 each, including shipping. Nice tire with a period look. PJ

View attachment 35112

MHW

Freshman Member
Country flag
You shouldn't have a problem if you go with 5.5 wide wheels. I run 205/70 with 5.5 wide Panasports on my 4A, and I have no clearance issues. Here's a picture:
MY TR EASTER 2014.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If you have clearance issues it will mostly be at full turn in reverse, possibly aggravated by whatever happens to the suspension as you come off a sloped driveway onto the street -- at least that what mine does. The interference is the front wheels contacting the upper wishbone. Contact is light but noisy nonetheless. I now have 3/16" spacers on the front and no contact under any circumstances. Alas, I do not recall the wheel width I am using, possibly more than 5.5".