• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Goodwood Revival 2014

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Un-BLOODY-believable. I have never been to a car show, and never will be, like the Goodwood Revival!!!!! It is HUGE beyond full description. One could have just spent a day touring cars in the parking lot (with hundreds of collector cars there in a special section). They say that there were 100,000 people there today (all sold out many months ago). Races. 70% of people attending were in period clothing (from 1900 to 1965). Paddocks. Showrooms. A complete Tesco supermarket filled with period products! Dance-floors with live bands under tents!! Historic races.
It was a bit exhausting but great fun.
Lancasters, Spitfires, Hurricanes (in formation) flew overhead. Just stunning. Gorgeous weather in southern England this year.
Shot a ZILLION photos, and here's just one (of Helen and I at the entrance).
Next day went over to not-far-away Beaulieu.
us at goodwood.jpg
I can see trying to go there every few years.

Last edited:
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
As one wandered around, you'd see entire sections of vintage police cars. At one point I thought I'd go see if I could find some D-type Jags... well, there was a section of about 30 (stretching off in the distance in this shot).
Dscn3886.jpg
Then you'd get distracted see this fly-over!
Dscn3951.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
We were amazed by the large percentage of people in period attire (70%?). Some in very formal stuff... some as mechanics in cover-alls... some as military. Here are two shots:
Dscn3769.jpgDscn3783.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
There might have been 4 main paddock areas (here is just one), including one just for motorcycles. And there were memorials all over the place.

Dscn3815.jpg This one was relatively inactive, but we walked through ones that were very active with cars coming and going to the track.

Dscn3829.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
When you get the program, you get some neat stuff. In this photo is:
a) the main program (left) - this year with a 50s/60s radio theme
b) a race schedule (to the right of the program)
c) a green booklet meant to look aged (with all the show FAQs and directions)
d) the ticket (at the bottom) meant to look aged
e) and a small radio that hangs on your ear so you can stay in constant touch with the track/grandstand commentary (in that little box).
goodwood.jpg

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Jealous with a Capitol J!

Looks like great fun!

The only problem for guys like me is that I'm sort of a lousy "fan" and more of a participant.....after one visit I can see myself selling the house, buying a Bugatti and entering the fray!
Not sure if Mommy would allow...... :wink-new:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here is the start of the feature race (won by 2 AC Cobras)... funny, it was the only race I saw from start to finish. At the half-way point of this race (about 20 laps) they had to change to a second driver in a fairly quick hand-over.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
NICE! Looks unbelievably wonderful. Mark, Thanks for explaining your visit. Makes me want to attend even more now.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, Jay, the more you see the more you'd want to go. I, too, have 2 friends that have gone (one in the UK) and would hear stories of this relatively new event (about 15 years old?). I can see myself going again in a few years... it's just THAT good.
3 more pics:
a) my wife, Helen, and I outside of the one large indoor showroom ("Earl's Court) - with many very valuable cars inside
b) a shot of us in front of one of the dozens of vintage airplanes
c) my wife (middle) and her two friends from her 20s (they live in England and, with their husbands, joined us). There is something for everyone. :wink-new: There were quite possibly hundreds of shops (including hair salons, barbers, you name it).
003.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
At first I was wandering around seeing all these people with these things on an ear... then I looked in my bag (with program) and found a small box! Clever.
This not only kept you in touch with anything exciting on the track (they call a "circuit") but the commentary between races was really very good.

Copying from a post I put on the MG board (to Drew):

Drew, we really tried to pack it in... and I hate to admit it but I sort of became overloaded with cars. We had stayed with 2 sets of friends in Yorkshire, and then we all rented a van (for the 3 couples) and drove down to Goodwood. Gaydon was along the way and just too easy to visit. Goodwood was nearly overwhelming... and then we went to Beaulieu the next day!!! A total of 10 days in the UK (this after 11 days in Belgium and Holland). 3 weeks away and I start to run out of gas.

Anyway, I'd recommend Goodwood (the Revival anyway) and Beaulieu to anyone that makes the journey over there (as they are only about an hour apart by car). We found some inexpensive hotels nearby each (though one had to drive a good 1/2 to each just to get those good rates) - otherwise everything around the venues is terribly expensive.