• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stupid car commercial

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hyundai has jumped aboard the stupid car commercial band wagon. I just saw a new one, in which two couples are going to a restaurant. The guy in the back seat keeps trying to be a back seat driver only to be preempted by the on-board nanny computer. At the end of the commercial they proclaim "back seat drivers just met their match." So are they trying to tell us that driving the new Elantra is just as annoying as having in your back seat telling you what to do? I just don't get it.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I would interpret it as an ad for 2 seat cars (of which I have four). :friendly_wink:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I Also think most car commercials are stupid! Just about every one shows the car racing down the road at abnormal speeds, cutting donuts in the dirt, screeching around parking lots and running obstacle courses at speed knocking everything over! I'd like to know what these ad campaigns are supposed to prove. Who drives a car like that? If these ads are targeting the "average" car buyer, he!! I'm living in the wrong century! :disgust: PJ

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I guess it begs the question: What makes a GOOD car commercial?

My car commercial bugaboo is that everyone is coming up with some kind of catchphrase that they trademark, and some don't even make sense. I think I'd rather hear nails on a chalkboard than another Mazda commercial with "Zoom Zoom". You have to give props to BMW for sticking with "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for all these years.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well, the thing that keeps getting me are all these "wonderful" features that car manufacturers are plugging, none of them are things I'd want in a car I drive. I don't want a computer system that monitors my driving and acts like a back seat driver, I don't want a navigation thingy that tells me where to go, I don't want "active understeer control" (I'd rather have a car that is designed well enough to not need it), none of these wonderful life changes things are things I want. I just want to be able to drive my car the way I want where I want without computers doing anything. So for me the only good car commercial would be one with a guy just driving, no narration, no feature touting, just the sound of the exhaust as he shifts through a windy road. Alain De Cadenet would probably make a fine car commercial, if he were so tasked.

Country flag
And a lot of those things are contrary to what they tell us in PSAs that say we're not paying enough attention to what's going on outside the car as we're rolling down the highway. Why on one hand tell us texting and driving is dangerous, which is it, and on the other hand provide options that will take your attention away from the road?? I saw at one point that OnStar can now be used to update your Facebook entries while driving...

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
:iagree: And, I couldn't agree more.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I like it. I don't even wear panty hose, but now I want to run out and buy some "Pretty Polly" ones.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It says the video is private Tom.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver