• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Job interview: I learned something

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I guess "job interview" is a bit misleading here. "Hiring session" is the right term.

I went to a Norfolk Southern hiring session yesterday in Altoona, Pa. When NS has a hiring session, they send out invitations to people that have applied online and also post notices on the radio and social media. I have been wanting to work on the railroad for some time so I went.
158 people showed up for a hand-full of positions with roughly half being walk-ins like me. The HR reps gave the "scary talk" outlining the work and when you would be expected to work and the conditions you would work in.
Right before they gave us a short break to talk to loved ones about this major change in lifestyle, they said that due to how many people that were there, they would be looking at the walk-in applications and only calling a few back in to continue the process. I was amazed that I got called back in. Out of 158, I was in the top 70. I went back in and took the examination and waited to see if I made it in.
Sadly I didn't make the top 20 that were granted interviews... Was told, though, that I would better my chances if I applied online and received an invitation next time.

In the process right now...Fingers crossed.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sorry you missed out that time but better luck next time.

D

Deleted member 8987

My personal experience with the railroads...they already know who they are going to hire.
Legally, they have to put on the show of "fairness" and "openness", but it really makes no difference.

The invitation means they know who they want to hire. They're right...get an invite.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My personal experience with the railroads...they already know who they are going to hire.
Legally, they have to put on the show of "fairness" and "openness", but it really makes no difference.

The invitation means they know who they want to hire. They're right...get an invite.

That's not just the railroads. Happens all the way down.

D

Deleted member 8987

I know...I was addressing his experience with 'railroads".

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My nephew works for the railroad and it took him 5 years to get hired. Determination = 50% of the hiring process. The other equals 30% race and 20% intelligence. A higher IQ is of less importance than your race or political connections. The kid was so persistent, I believe they got to know him on a first name bases and hired him just to shut him up! He does love his job, works for the freight division and is scheduled for his engineers test soon. PJ

Country flag
Everyplace has rules like that, we have to post internally for computer tech positions and the boss interview everyone who applies even when they don't come close to the job requirements. Then if everyone is rejected, then go to other sources. Supposed to be a cost cutting measure...

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Everyplace has rules like that, we have to post internally for computer tech positions and the boss interview everyone who applies even when they don't come close to the job requirements. Then if everyone is rejected, then go to other sources. Supposed to be a cost cutting measure...

The one thing that ticks me off Mike, is the qualifications in some organizations seem to be lower for some and higher for others! If you get my drift. PJ

Country flag
I know what you mean, have seen that myself over the years. You can never prevent a hiring manager from deciding someone they really want is the candidate and gaming the system if they really want to. Just because they have to do certain things doesn't mean they have to "find" the best person...