• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's My Car Worth?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Don’t answer that… and I didn’t make him either. :wink-new:
As you may know, Keith Martin is a local Portland guy (who started out in the arts, notably ballet) that loves cars. I believe he started out mostly with Alfa Romeos. In addition to his Velocity Channel show(s), he's the editor of the slick "Sports Car Market" magazine.
I’ve run into him 4 times now (rally, auto-jumble, etc.), and I’ve also spent time tasting wine with him at a local wine shop ("VINO").
So, today, he pulls right up behind me in the red Toyota (at that same wine shop - a free tasting of 8 wines from Owen Roe). His first sports car was a white Bugeye (when he was 16), so he has a special attachment to them.
Very nice guy (approachable and fun).
Keith Martin at VINO 1 small.jpg

Um, he's the one on the left. :chuncky:

[might as well plug him some more, he also has the magazine "American Car Collector": https://www.americancarcollector.com/about/keith-martin and https://www.sportscarmarket.com/about-us/keith-martin]

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice photo Mark but tell me... What's behind the fence on the left side of the photo? It looks like a double-decker bus.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Good catch Elliot. I thought about commenting on that. It's a food-cart area that, yes, has a double-decker bus (the real thing from the UK). It's an old one and now used to eat indoors if one so chooses. Funky and fun (though the upper level is a bit cramped).

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One more (just because I can - proud papa stuff). :cool:

Keith Martin at VINO 2small.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good catch Elliot. I thought about commenting on that. It's a food-cart area that, yes, has a double-decker bus (the real thing from the UK). It's an old one and now used to eat indoors if one so chooses. Funky and fun (though the upper level is a bit cramped).
Well I guess it's a BBB (Big British Bus).... let us know how the resto goes after you buy it :encouragement:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Well I guess it's a BBB (Big British Bus).... let us know how the resto goes after you buy it :encouragement:

That beast looks like it will never be driven again. Amazing suspension on those things; they can nearly tip over without actually doing so. It has a MONSTER radiator on the front that I'd love to have. :rolleye:

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
That is one nice looking Bugeye!
Next time you see Keith at a wine tasting mention us folks down here in the lowcountry....We have vineyards, ships, classic cars and Don!

Irene

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Irene-As much as you think there is wine here...
It is just grape juice compared to Mark's region

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Try this don.... It's one of my favorites.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 50

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
New Zealand is great for many things.
Wine is not my favorite

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
New Zealand is great for many things.
Wine is not my favorite
You are missing out if you don't try any wine from the Marlborough region.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OH!!!!!!!!
One of my fav

Any Sinister Hand???????

Don, there was no Sinister Hand... but some of their very best from 2011. Sharecropper and many more. Pinots, Cabs, blends... you name it. All put on by the Owen Roe people themselves! And it was one of those "all you can drink" types (instead of the usual once through getting one ounce from each). SUPER stuff.

Last edited:
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I don't think I'm a wine snob, but maybe I appear to be to others. I just love a great Willamette Valley pinot noir... but my favorite stuff are Italian wines from Tuscany and Piedmont. The Barollos, Barbarescos, Barberras (the so-called "Killer Bs") from up north... and my absolute favorite wine is Brunello (a sangiovese that is aged) from Chianti-country midway down the boot (in Montalcino).

Last edited:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
... and my absolute favorite wine is Brunello (a sangiovese that is aged) from Chianti-country midway down the boot (in Montelcino).

Now you're speaking my language

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Now you're speaking my language

The very best wines I've ever had were Brunellos. We had a 100 point (Wine Spectator) one, received at our wedding, that we opened a couple of years ago for an anniversary. Probably a $250 bottle! It took 4 hours to open up but when it did, it was absolutely stunning... the very best stuff I've ever tasted in a wine... exploding with cherries.

The only "trouble" with Brunellos is that they are, in my opinion, generally over-priced. Hard to find a good one for under $70 (and that's just too much except for a special occasion)! Still, "lesser" Rosa de Montalcinos are generally nearly as good... and we like Chianti-country wines anyway (with that dry, earthy quality), so most Chianti-Classicos are perfect as a regular wine.

Last edited:

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Put the two passions together and mark your calendar for the Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix. Thousands of old sports-cars, and all in the heart of the Finger Lakes wine country. Just ask Dale (Dart). We have a blast! It'd be a riot to do a BCF dinner one night.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Put the two passions together and mark your calendar for the Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix. Thousands of old sports-cars, and all in the heart of the Finger Lakes wine country. Just ask Dale (Dart). We have a blast! It'd be a riot to do a BCF dinner one night.

Sounds like fun.
But, I'm hoping there might be some very good (old) single malt whiskey at the Goodwood Revival in early September. After years of waiting to finally see it, we'll be there for one day of it (Sept. 14th I think). Then off to the fairly nearby National Motor Museum in Beaulieu (which I've not been to since 1998 and I hear they've remodeled it).