• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I've got them ol' 76 tr6 electrical blues

givinner

Freshman Member
Good day and how's it going eh?
I've owned my 76 tr6 since 1990 and up to now have been able to figure out most problems, mainly through helpful forums such as this. But now I have come up against a problem that has me completely baffled.
I had a few electrical problems with my 76 tr6. Signals, horns, dash and instrument lights did not function. Seems every time I brought it to a so called electrics expert they would fix one thing but cause another problem. " Oh you don't really need hazard lights, radio, seat belt warning, etc etc." So I decided to tackle the thing myself.
Armed with the Advanced autowire diagram I went through the car, found some loose and unattached contacts, grounds, a loose ignition switch and miswired relays. Success! Got all the lights and signals working.
Wait a second, only one scenario I haven't tried: the old signals flashing with the headlights on.
This is where it gets interesting. When the running lights or headlights on, with the turn signal in the right turn position, the left rear blinks and so do the rear license plate lights(out of sync with signal). In left turn position, the right flashes and again so do the plate lights.
Hazard lights work fine on drivers side front and rear, passenger rear is dim and front does not light. With headlights on, right rear flashes bright (other side dim)and so do plate illumination lights ( out of sync ). Hazard and headlight switches look pristine, no corrosion or undone wires. I have gone through the harness several times and everything is properly grounded and correct sequence of wires.
Tried disconnecting hazard flasher and still same issue with signals.
Any thoughts, hunches, theories or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
You say grounds are good, but I'd re-check them if I were you. It reads as though you have current running back through side and tail lights.

OP
givinner

givinner

Freshman Member
Hey Roger
I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe a lead that has come into contact with body. I'll go thru it again. Thanks for the input.

OP
givinner

givinner

Freshman Member
Took a closer look at the hazard switch. Cleaned all the contact points, reinstalled and voila, flashers and signals working again. Plate illumination lights still blink so I will track down that bad ground and should be good to go. I had seen many posts blaming the hazard for all types of signal troubles but mine looked fine. Looks can be deceiving as they say.