• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil cap shorts Ignition???

chazevans

Freshman Member
I was tooling down the freeway last night when Gidget my 58 Sprite started to sputter and cough losing power intermittently . I started to pull to the side of the road and she starting running fine again for a couple of miles so I continued on. After a mile or so the sputtering became bad again and I pulled to the shoulder of the road and she came to a stop and would not start. A couple of misfires but no go.

popped the bonnet and saw that the oil fill cap had come lose and was resting against one of the plug wires. Any idea what may have happened such as shorting or worse yet frying something in my ignition system?

HELP!!!!

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
I was tooling down the freeway last night when Gidget my 58 Sprite started to sputter and cough losing power intermittently . I started to pull to the side of the road and she starting running fine again for a couple of miles so I continued on. After a mile or so the sputtering became bad again and I pulled to the shoulder of the road and she came to a stop and would not start. A couple of misfires but no go.

popped the bonnet and saw that the oil fill cap had come lose and was resting against one of the plug wires. Any idea what may have happened such as shorting or worse yet frying something in my ignition system?

HELP!!!!

You don't say whether or not putting the oil filler cap back on (and getting it away from the ignition wires) corrected the problem, but if it did, then I would expect that there was no permanent damage. It does sound like you might need a new set of plug wires, however, if the spark was able to get through the insulation of the wire and ground against the cap.

'Hope that's all it was,

Dan

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Same question as Dan had, but it does not sound as if one or even two plug leads getting shorted would kill the engine. Make it run rough, yes. Sounds like fuel starvation to me, which could be caused by a clogged filter or line, or a intermittently bad fuel pump (that is, if you are running an electric SU in place of the original mechanical pump).

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Shorting out the high-voltage wiring (plug wires) won't damage anything. Even shorting out the primary wiring, between the coil and the distributor, shouldn't do any damage.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Had this happen during a race one time long ago. Put cap back on and proceeded to next run which was the days fast time. Maybe metal oil filler caps are not the best way to go?