• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

wiper motor

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wipers are not working even though I never use them but you never know .In order to get the motor out do I have to take apart the whole system I thought if I loosen the nut on the motor the cable would come out

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Ralph,

I haven't touched my wipers for decades but, as I remember when I did, the motor and transmission would separate from the cable and housing. This allows you to remove them and work on them out of the car. To remove the cable from its housing, I believe you must remove the wipers so the gears can revolve completely as you pull the cable out (a task necessary if the cable lubricant has solidified or a particular wiper gear of cable section has been damaged.

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

bucaneer

Country flag
The wipers were not working when I purchased my BJ8. The previous owner said it was the motor and disconected the power supply. I pulled the motor and connected it to the battery and it ran fine. I worked the cabel manually and it was frozen. I disasemled the wheel boxes and it turned out to be the passenger side wheel box was rusted tight. I replaed the wheel box, greased the cabel, reconected the motor and the wipers worked fine.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Take the cover off the wiper gear and the access to the end of the cable is there. when you unscrew the nut on the end and pull the pin out of the end of the cable, the motor and wiper box assembly can separate.

Jerry

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had a similar problem last year, I kept blowing fuses, I found it best to remove the motor and the cable, but mine was easier because I have BJ7. My problem was that the brushes had worn down to the holders and the holders had eaten into the commutator. I renewed the rubber mounts at the same time, and found that the best way to put them in was to coat them in red rubber grease and use a small screwdriver to ease them into the small holes from underneath the bracket. I had the seat out so it was relatively easy and of course there were no pedals in the way either.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
rjc157

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Was able to get the motor out took off the cable and tried to hot wire it to the battery nothing happened is there another way to do this

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Since you probably have the cover off the gear wheel now, check the grease inside. If it is green and semi hard, that will stop the motor from running. But also, if it has not been run in a long time the insides of the motor could have a lot of surface rust or the brushes are gone. I have taken a lot of these motors apart that don't work and they all come back after clean up.
Jerry