• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What motor will fit my 1969 Austin Healey Mark IV

wergold

Freshman Member
What motor will fit my 1969 Austin Healey Mark IV
I am just wondering if anybody knows of a new or used motor and transmission i can put in my 1969 Austin Healey Mark IV just wondering what motors and tranys will fit the vehicle I just bought this car and I just don't know much about it I'm looking for a easy but I don't want to cut my car all up for a motor
does anyone have one for sale or know where I can get one​

G

IIRC any RWD A series should be the same or a Datsun A series motor and trans will fit with slight modification.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So tell us what is wrong with your present engine and perhaps we can provide advice and the best way to get you driving again.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The 1275cc A-series motor connected to a 4-speed "ribcase" transmission is the correct motor/tranny combination. Like others have said, the Datsun A-series motor makes for a good substitute with only minor modifications. If you search the internet, you can find other engines that have been dropped into these cars, but they have required more than a fair amount of modifications and fabrications to fit. In fact, if you search this forum, there's a gentleman who has put a Small Block Chevy in his Sprite.

BTW - I own a '69 Sprite Mark IV as well. The Mark IVs may not be as iconic as the Bugeyes, but they are just as fun to drive, and we get three windshield wipers!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That is unless you had a '68 Mark IV which only came with 2 wipers for the majority of the model year.

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Not to mention door handles - right?

Dan

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
That is unless you had a '68 Mark IV which only came with 2 wipers for the majority of the model year.

Well, I was talking about the '69, not all Mark IVs. The '69 also gives you the high back bucket seats.

Anyone know the approx serial of the last Sprite imported to North America was? I'm curious how close to "the end" mine was. I know by the heritage certificate the car was assembled in late April of '69, but didn't get shipped until early July of '69, finally making its way to the Chicago area in August.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Wergold,
What amount of chassis modification and customization of the mechanical and electrical are you comfortable undertaking?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
In that case, you're probably better off going the stock route. Even if you can only find a short block, the part suppliers such as Moss Motors and Victoria British can get you the rest of the parts. Going that route isn't cheap, so you may want to see if you can find a complete motor.

The 1275 A-engine is very easy to work on. 11 months ago, I had never touched an engine. Since then, I've replaced the head gasket, water pump, exhaust, all the hoses fan belt and played with the carbs until I was blue in the face, not to mention all the other work I've done to the car. Believe me, once you drive the car, you'll realize that the effort (and expense) is very well worth it.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
How about some pics and we can help evaluate. We live pictures. And where in UT are you close to?

OP
W

wergold

Freshman Member
will a original 9C engine fit and work in a mk iv 1969 Austin healey and work with out any or much modifications?

OP
W

wergold

Freshman Member
austion healey.jpgaustion healey side.jpgthese are the only photos I have right now I will try to get more in a day or two

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If you are going the non- stock route, look here https://www.britishv8.org (they aren't all V8s) but do cover the range. probably a Rotary RX7 lump is the easiest due to its size. Actually an MG K series engine might be easiest but impossible to find on this side of the pond. keep us posted!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
the car is in Centerville utah

You should connect up with the British Motor Club of Utah (https://www.bmcutah.org/). We're an easy going group, no dues or anything like that. There are folks on that list that probably have the parts you need. I'm up in Midway (Heber Valley) myself.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So what kind of rust will need repair. Thinking chassis, a post, floors, outer rockers, spring boxes. Looks like sone body work nay gave been started? Need to make sure you've got a good platform to build upon..

nomad

Yoda
Well your best bet then would be a 1275 and ribcase which you can probably source on E-bay if you can't find one anywhere else. There are folk's on this forum that can probably set you up with rebuilt units ready to go for a price and maybe some offers for good used. Could also add a Datsun 5 speed for not much fabrication....its up to you!

Kurt.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
That 9C motor will fit fine but it is a 948cc motor and pretty weak (around 42 hp)- they came in Sprites from '59 to '63
Your car came with a 1275cc motor which is around 70hp and is available from any MG Midget or Sprite from '67 till '74.
I would go with a 1275 if possible- it also has more aftermarket stuff available.
BillM