• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin Healey 100-6 Bn4 Badge Number

Bert Wijnen

Freshman Member
Hello,

I'm having some trouble getting my car registered in The Netherlands and yesterday they found a new 4 digit number on the chassis. It appears that this is the badge number. I'm missing the plate with the body and batch number under the bonnet. Does anyone know if there is any register or way to see if I can relate this badge number to anything? And is the batch number the same as the number that stands on the plate with the body number under the bonnet as well?

Thanks in advance

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Additional information; Bert has a Heritage certificate identical to the chassisnumber of the US title that belonged with the car
Because the tags are missing, checking the numbers on the certificate is not possible.

Just found an old thread

Hans

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Bert,

Is the engine plate still attached to the engine and if so does it match with the heritage certificate? The number you mentioned is this stamped on an aluminium plate on the firewall in the engine compartment ? A lot of these vin number plates were lost. But do i understand correctly that the car was important from the states on the title you have in your hands ( this is a official document) what would be the problem for the RDW

Harry

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bert - what is your definition of this "badge" number? and where is this located on the chassis. The body number is located in several places on the 100-six
- on the hood latch, on the hood , on the trunk lid, and also on the inside of each of the 4 chrome cockpit trim pieces.
best of luck - jim

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Heres a shot of an original badge showing batch and body numbers, the top tag of course. Yes the hood latch receiver mount (if original to the car) should have the body number stamped in it. Also the cockpit trim will also have the body number stamped on the backside. The loop for the trunk prop rod will also have the number. This is all assuming the original pieces are still with the car.

Attachments

• 2012-09-13 september 2012 030.jpg
    2012-09-13 september 2012 030.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 142

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
curiously I have found other stampings on the car while doing the resto. I can only assume these were quality control stamps. They vary in location and as you can see are quite sloppy. One area actually has multiple stamps in the same area, either a shaky hand while stamping or they had to keep redoing a certain part of the build. THere were stamps near the front shock mount plates on both sides and on top of the cross member for the rear trans mount and on the forward side of the trans rod support mount plate.

Attachments

• recliners 009.jpg
    recliners 009.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 152
  • recliners 006.jpg
    recliners 006.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 134
  • recliners 004.jpg
    recliners 004.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 130
  • recliners 003.jpg
    recliners 003.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 123
  • recliners 005.jpg
    recliners 005.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 140
OP
B

Bert Wijnen

Freshman Member
Where on the chassis is this 4 digit number? Is it on a plate or are the individual numbers stamped onto the chassis?

On the right front chassis, near shock absorber. Up site,now I know it is a production number. Important for me is of this number could be related to a year. I must show that this is an old car.

OP
B

Bert Wijnen

Freshman Member
I don't have the plates, I have to prove it is the original car from the title. I have a heritage with body number en engine number. The engine number is not at the car.

OP
B

Bert Wijnen

Freshman Member
I meant a batch number, I allready know what this is. For me is important if it is possible to relate my number to a building year. My factory batch number on the chassis near the right shock absorber is 4323
My vin number is BN4LS46049

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How old does the car have to be? They stopped making Austin Healeys in 1968!

I realise you are dealing with 'jobsworths' in Government and I sympathise with that. The only match now possible is that the body number stamped on the chassis is the same as the heritage certificate. You could also explain that it is common for the ID plates on the firewall and the engine to be missing on a 55 year old car. Perhaps if you could supply them with copies of the the old US licensing documents, that might help. Failing that, register it in the UK, we are more friendly to old cars.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Bert
100-6 BN4 Longbridge (my BN4 LO 43...)and also Abington cars -haven't any chassis number stamped- AH beginning to stamp it, late, on BJ7-BJ8 series
I have supplied it my self,engraving it to the right shock absorber plate, to satisfied the bureaucrats of Italy- Motorizzazione
Body and VIN plates original, are present on the car, but they don't consider it valid, so I have satisfied they insane wish
-vin plates blank, can be find, from usual suppliers-body numbers plates can be make from a skillful artisan that can add also the VIN numbers to blank plate

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks to all for the replies. I spoke to Bert before he posted this question. Great to see the response from all of you.

To sum up;

There is a US Title mentioning the chassisnumber with the car, but the numbers on the title can not be matched with the car
There is a heritage certificate that states a body number, that is also found on the car.
So from the Heritage Certificate, through the bodynumber, the Title can be matched to the car
The number found on the chassis has no relation what so ever with the badges that are missing
Numbers on the chassis are found on other cars without formal relevance and there is no match or sequence with other numbers

Any forummembers with a BN4 and a chassisnumber in the order of 460.. that are willing to post (p.m. to Bert) a picture of their badges ??
It might be helpfull for convincing the RDW (Dutch registration office) on the information above

Last edited:

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Bert,

You have the heritage certificate and the clear title from the US. The car can only be exported once this has been clarified by the US customs. Did you had the car directly from the US or did someone else had the car before. With other words ( are the duties/taxes already paid) if so they accepted the car for use in the Netherlands pending roadworthyness, if the entry read import duties/taxes had not been done yet almost every RDW has a customshouse included you can explain the situation at a RDW were they register many classics propably they understand seeing so many cars and why a plate with only two screws can be lost during half a century just like DerekJ wrote. That is exactly the reason why they stamp the number in the chassis nowadays. Why dodn't you try another branch of the RDW maybe a different person will see it in another context.

Harry

Harry

Harry

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I don't think that number stamped by the shock mount is your batch number. The pictures I posted show the stampings on our BN4 near the shock mounts and they are not even close to the body or batch numbers. Unfortunately you will not find any stamped numbers on the frame to satisfy for proof of the body or VIN number. They were originally on those bolt on plates. Have you checked the front latch mount, the cockpit trims and the trunk lid prop rod brackets? If you find body numbers there, hopefully they will match the body number provided on your heritage certificate (they did give the body number correct?), and this will give proper provenance of the paperwork matching the car.
Jim

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Big Green

I'm confused. You say 'the heritage certificate states a body number which can also be found on the car' but then you say 'the number on the body has no relation to the badges that are missing'

To clarify then, is the number on the body mentioned on the heritage certificate or not'?

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Harry,

The PO imported the car some years ago.

Derek,

The bodynumber on the heritage certificate matches the boot and bonnet. Engine and transmission numberplates are missing also

... The number found on the chassis has no relation what so ever with the badges that are missing ...

... My factory batch number on the chassis near the right shock absorber is 4323. My vin number is BN4LS46049

Bert informed me yesterday he now has an original key, with a number equal to the number on the heritage certificate.

Hans