• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What is the rustiest, most run down Healey you have ever seen?

Lambdaman

I have been collecting photos of Austin Healey's for a while that have been listed for sale, mainly rusty wrecked ones, this BJ7 has been listed recently, with a description "ready for restoration" , no false claims there !
Anyone else have similar to share or seen worst?
regards
David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 313

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Same thought here ...
Reserve not met ;-)

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
When I was growing up there was a house not too far from where I lived that had what I came to call the "Healey Graveyard" there were probably half dozen or so (it varied over time) big Healeys in the yard at any one time in various states of rusty disrepair. At the time the city either did not have or did not enforce "junk cars in the yard" ordinances, so in some parts of town it would be common to see lots full of Corvairs and VWs (for some reason you couldn't seem to own just one old air cooled car), there was a guy couple blocks away who had a number of Crosleys always parked about.

I was always very intrigued by the Healey Graveyard, which had at least one car with a funny shaped grill I didn't recognize (later learned it was a 100) the houses on that street were eventually bought up and razed for redevelopment, this was probably the mid seventies, always wondered if the cars and parts were saved or went to the scrapper. Although I have no pics, the Healey Graveyard held some pretty sorry examples.

OP
L

Lambdaman

At least they remembered to put the handbrake on when they parked this puppy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 310
D

Deleted member 8987

Two. Been there for the 37 years I have lived in this house.
They are across the street, in the backyard.
Old guy bought one for him, one for his kid, then panicked that the 16 year old might kill himself, and took them apart.Wings, seats, bonnet, boot, bumpers, lights, windscreen, grille, all removed and hung on inside walls of garage.
20 years ago he tried to get one chassis running...engine stuck. He had water in one bore, found ONE piston and rings, got it running, parked it.
Tried to talk the kid out of them for years. No avail.
Old man (long dead) and kid are hoarders of sorts.
What's outside will need complete engine, trans, diff, suspension rebuild and probably a new frame for each.
They thought they were going to pull one out about 7 or 8 years ago, but didn't have a chain saw handy.
3 and 4 inch trees growing up through them.
Dave

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Believe it of not, it's not this one!
I was at Beverly Hills Car Club looking for a donor car for my first Jamaican and saw two of them that were in ads as "rusty but restorable" in pictures indicating a car in one piece. When I got to their warehouse the salesman said he didn't know exactly where they were. I found them, one was tied together with straps and the other collapsed in the corner in two pieces.
This one pictured is a 100 I got with my Jamaican, it has gone to some locals on Chino airport and they're parting it out.
Chris...

Attachments

• Chris Jamaican frame left.jpg
    Chris Jamaican frame left.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 304
  • Chris Jamaican rt frame break front.jpg
    Chris Jamaican rt frame break front.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 270
OP
L

Lambdaman

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Here is a 65 BJ8 listed for sale recently, on the surface bubbling rust in the usual outer panel area, looks like most damage has come from wet carpets and boot mat, however in most cases price to fix a little rust hole is the same as completely rusted out when the whole panel needs to be replaced.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
On eBay

This is 63 Austin Healey BT7 that is quite a gem. ... Car is 100% original and really solid. Its all here and unmolested.
The body panels are unbelievable, fenders front and rear are rust free and have never been repaired, see the pictures.
... the frame having only surface rust.

LOL

OP
L

Lambdaman

This is 63 Austin Healey BT7 that is quite a gem. Last on the road in 85 and garaged since. Car is 100% original and really solid.

Solid????

I wonder if this guy will let you pat his guide dog when you pick the car up after you win the auction!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 187

RAC68

Darth Vader
Rick's example looks familiar and brings to mind an example.

A while back, a good friend was into accumulating any AustinHealey 100-6/3000 car or component he could afford and purchased a farm in
Ohio to store the carsand eventually retire to. During my timewith him, he purchased a BN4 2+2 that we had to dig out of a muddy farmer’sfield.

Preparing to haul the car onto the trailer, it was clearthat almost every piece of metal a foot below the door handles was eithermissing or extremely deteriorated and the door locks were the strongest thingkeeping the front half from separating from the back. Although I loudly questioned his intelligencefor purchasing this pile of rust, he totally ignored me and pulled out a rollof nylon cable tie material and a bag of cable ends used by the telephonecompany to temporarily lash replacement pole to a broken one. Without hesitation, he rapped 2 cable ties side-to-sidearound the doors and another 2 front-to-back and pulled the hulk onto thetrailer.

Although this was one of the most deteriorated of the approximately10 Healeys in his collection, it was not a unique example but these stood instark contrast to some of the nicest originals. Loosing contact after he retired to his farm many years ago, he always plannedto restore many in his collection and I often wondered if he did. I know he would have a large supply of refurbishableparts he would ever need.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
On eBay

This is 63 Austin Healey BT7 that is quite a gem. ... Car is 100% original and really solid. Its all here and unmolested.
The body panels are unbelievable, fenders front and rear are rust free and have never been repaired, see the pictures.
... the frame having only surface rust.

LOL
Reminds me of that old translation: "Rust free means there is no extra charge for the rust."

RAC68

Darth Vader
Rick,

Don’t make fun of the old and feeble. I said it looked familiar…but from 15 or so years ago.

I used to wonder how my parents could remember back 30 or 40 years prior as though it happened yesterday. Now I know and its yesterday I have trouble remembering.

Grow old and prosper Rick,

Ray (64BJ8P1)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Rick,

Don’t make fun of the old and feeble. I said it looked familiar…but from 15 or so years ago.

I used to wonder how my parents could remember back 30 or 40 years prior as though it happened yesterday. Now I know and its yesterday I have trouble remembering.

Grow old and prosper Rick,

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Ray,

I wasn't making fun of you, I was making fun of myself for not remembering I had already seen the car at the top of the thread. I was going to say the two most valuable parts of that car were these:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Until I noticed the chassis plate looks kind of new, is secured by pop rivets instead of screws and I'm reasonably certain that a left hand drive US car should have a chassis number beginning with "HBJ7L"

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have been collecting photos of Austin Healey's for a while that have been listed for sale, mainly rusty wrecked ones, this BJ7 has been listed recently, with a description "ready for restoration" , no false claims there !
Anyone else have similar to share or seen worst?
regards
David

The 62 Tri Carb that is my next project . Frame rails totally gone and held together with an extra support of U channel bolted underneath then the U filled over with cardboard fiberglass and roofing tar .
Took the whole hulk to Marty (frameman) once through the sandblaster only about 10/15% of the whole superstructure was salvageable . I now have a complete superstructure waiting in the wings ready for me to do after I finish the 64 BJ8 Im working on .

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag