• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A tire pressure

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have Vredestien 165/80/15 sprint classics on my TR3.I have been experimenting with tire pressures.Started with a guess at 32psi,but dropped to 29 to see if liked that better.Car handles great,but seemed to scrub on fast turns a little more @29 than 32.I think I am in the right range,but am wondering what others are running.I met a Healey 3000 owner last weekend that was running 24 psi on sprint 185's,who liked the softer ride,but to me the sidewall sag looked like a low tire.
Your thoughts or experience appreciated,
Thanks
tom

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
You had me at 32 psi. I like being able to turn the steering wheel. 24 sounds way too low and sound like a set of tires will be needed,from uneven wear, before long.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Huh, I just got new Vred Sprint Classics 165/80-15s a few weeks ago but, haven't driven yet as I have the whole rear end apart waiting for new axle shafts. I am planning on running 28 psi front, 32 psi rear. Will try to remember to report back in a week or two when I have it all back together.

Bob

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have Vred Sprint Classics 185/70 on my TR3. I like the way they feel at 30-32 psi. Good response and turn-in. Soft rides have no part in any cars that I own.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Huh, I just got new Vred Sprint Classics 165/80-15s a few weeks ago but, haven't driven yet as I have the whole rear end apart waiting for new axle shafts. I am planning on running 28 psi front, 32 psi rear. Will try to remember to report back in a week or two when I have it all back together.

Bob

Thanks for all the replies.Bob,you got me thinking about different psi front and rear.I checked my Clymer handbook which lists tire pressures in the 20f-24r range or 24f-32r for Michleins.
Guessing these are all bias ply but the fact that they all spec higher in rear I think next try is 29 front,back to 32 rear.
Thanks again
Tom

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
I have a new set of Nexens set up by Hendrix Wire Wheel. They suggested 28 lbs cold all around. Car drives and handles GREAT !
Gordon

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nexen is a Chinese Company owned by Michelin. The tires are radial 165/80/15's. VERY reasonably priced
Gordon
Simmo,I am curious what wheels you have with the 195's.Not sure if they would work on the stock steel wheels for next time.
As far as the offset pressure front to back I guess some experimenting may show a difference.My guess as to all the factory specs showing about a 4psi difference may have to do with weight distribution.
Thanks
Tom

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi Tom,

The wheels are 72 spoke Dayton 5". think that if someone can measure the load on the front and back wheels, with passenger and driver, and then draw a vector diagram, both front and back would be almost equal. Thats my guess anyway.
Cheers
Ian

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Tom,

The wheels are 72 spoke Dayton 5". think that if someone can measure the load on the front and back wheels, with passenger and driver, and then draw a vector diagram, both front and back would be almost equal. Thats my guess anyway.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks Simmo.Maybe with equal pressure the car is a little tight and the extra rear pressure loosens it up a bit.I still cant believe after 4 years I am at the point of adjusting tire pressure.
Have fun
tom

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Tom,
Playing with Tyre, (notice we spell it different over here?), pressure is harmless and doesnt get your hands dirty and you can stop when you get bored. I made a Panhard for mine and these pressures work well with it. No skipping on corners.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I know the factory calls for lower pressure on the fronts than the rears, but I never understood why on a solid axle, stiffly sprung british sports car. The rear generally has a little less weight on it, and has limited suspension travel and is, as mentioned, very stiffly sprung, I usually run the backs about 4 pounds under the fronts on a live axle car, helps a little with the ride and skittering around corners with the back end bouncing about, and reduces understeer, making the more highly inflated fronts less squirmy. Does that make sense?

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Certinaly that does make sense Tom. I played around thinking about a suspension mod to stop the skittering. People told me that a front sway bay was the answer but I chose to make a Panhard Rod. Pleased I did. I now am able to run the 28PSI all around and it goes around corners very well. Im not a racer so some who are may want many more mods on their suspension. If you send me your email, in a PM, I can send you drawings on my own invented Panhard if you like.