• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Will these tires/wheels work on my 1966 TR4a, IRS?

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
I have a chance to get a set of 4 72 spoke 15" rims with Kumho ECSTA 195/65R/15 tires already mounted. The tires are wider for sure, which should give me better handling, and they're a bit taller, and the 72 spoke wheel should make for smoother riding. I currently have the original wire wheels on now that came with the car when I bought it new in 1966, 60 spokes with Michelin XZX 165/SR/15's. Yep, I'm the original owner. The splines, and knock offs work fine, but the car is in mid rebuild now and I can't run it with the tires on yet. Does anyone run tires this size on a TR4A, and are there any clearance/rubbing issues?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
onlyoneowner, good for you and a real rare thing for sure. On the tires and wheels, if they a joined more in the center, no problem, if all the offset is toward the inside a bit of rubbing is going to happen, not a good thing. I hope the tires are not too wide for the rim, I would think you need at least 5 inches for a good fit.

Wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I run 195/65s on alloys on my TR4 -- but as noted, it is all about offset.

Also be aware that 72-spoke 15 inch wires are commonly used on Jaguars, but the splines on those are different from Triumphs & Healeys. Perhaps you have already verified that these will fit a Triumph hub but thought I'd mention it.

OP
O

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for the input. My TR is in a semi disassembled state, working on the suspension, brakes, and the engine. So I can't actually 'test' these wheels, which is why I'm looking for some input from folks who may actually have experience with this tire size and wheel combo. The set is a great buy, but only if they work. Thanks for your input.
Jack

OP
O

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
Hi Geo,
Yep, I put my splines in these wheels and they fit. Just not sure about the offset you mentioned. The front suspension is totally out and being reworked so I can't actually mount them and test them, the reason for the inquiry. I'd hate to see these get away, but then I'd hate it worse if they don't work. Thanks Geo.
Jack

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I ran 205/70-15s on my TR4A on wires. Installed by PO. No issues at all but, there was a 1/4" spacer plate mounted behind the spline hub. I think the spacer was more to make the length of the mounting studs work with the wire wheels and not related to tire size. Pretty sure the studs were sized for the original steel wheels.

Bob

Last edited:
Country flag
Glad Bob mentioned that about the spacers. I too had spacers on the 250. Didn't want to cut or replace studs. Don't know if that made any difference or not but it does move the wheel out 1/4"

Marv

OP
O

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
Thanks so much for the replies folks. It seems the consensus so far is that they should work, and that maybe a spacer is needed behind the splines. I have a few days before I commit, so I'll wait and see who else might chime in. triumph 9 reduced 40% bestjpg.jpg Thought I'd throw in this pic of my pride and joy.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wow! Gorgeous. And you are the original owner...amazing!
Seems like we have the exact same cars and both joined BCF Sept 2009.
I've owned mine since July 2000.

Bob

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Wow that is nice. For what its worth, I don't think you'll need spacers as you already have wire wheels - the studs are already short. So you probably have an even better chance that you'll clear the fenderwells. Also, 195-65-15 is very very close to 165-80-15 tire so height won't be an issue

OP
O

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
Thanks TR4nut and tdskip for the feedback. I think I'll go with the set. The tires are from around 2001 and have very usable tread and the wires are in great shape and he's asking $400 for the set. Since the motor was pulled to be overhauled, and all the front suspension/brakes are being refitted the mechanic arranged for the engine bay to be repainted, as well as the engine. He also found a big crack in one of the engine mounts so he'll weld that too. Plus he's sandblasting some of the area, which is how he found the mount crack. Should look sweet when done. I'm updating the lights and putting in LED's and basically redoing the wiring in the engine bay. Can't wait to get it on the road and wind down some sweet roads in the Sierra foothills, like I did when I first was learning how to drive it in the Pennsylvania countryside around Penn State.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...The tires are from around 2001 and have very usable tread... ...Can't wait to get it on the road and wind down some sweet roads in the Sierra foothills, like I did when I first was learning how to drive it in the Pennsylvania countryside around Penn State.

13 year old tires are fine for pushing a car around in the garage but I certainly wouldn't drive either far or fast on them.

Up to you, but I have seen many sorry examples of what happens when old tires that looked okay were put to the test.

OP
O

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the input folks. I finally got my answer. They won't work. Turns out the wheels must have come from another make. I was able to mount one of the tires on my TR in the shop and the tires stuck out about 1.5" at least from the wheel well. I guess I should have noticed that when the old and newer tires were lying flat. The spline hub on the 195's with 72 spokes were recessed below the tire, whereas on my old 60 spoke tires the spline actually protrudes about 1.5" beyond the tire. The offset was enormous. The 72 spoke rims won't work, and it had nothing to do with the different tire sizes. I wish I'd noticed that from the start. Rats. Back to finding tires that work on my rims.

Tony P

Onlyoneowner, I have a 1962 TR4. I have been running 72 spoke wire wheels off of a TR6. The tires are P195/70R15. The splines bolted right on had to shorten the lug bolt. The wheels went on with on trouble and I have been running them for about 5 years. What you do have to consider is how your car sits, corners and bounces on the road while in motion.
I had rubbing at first when the wheels were turned, but I got under the front located the spots and worked the metal down. I also put a heavy duty sway bar so there would be no rubbing in the corners, it worked. The only thing I get is rear wheel rub when loaded with 2 people and luggage when on an extended trip, or when I am driving on back roads at a faster than recommended speed.
God luck, mine work well, hope yours do too.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Randy and others are right. 195 65 is a great tire for TR4s. I have Bridgestone Potenza and they're great. And look great. I have splined eight spoke alloys.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
It sounds like your problem is the wheels and not the tires, I have 205/65-15s on my TR250 and no clearance problems from the tires (the 7" rims do rub a little on the upper front suspension at full lock). Can you return or E-bay the wheels? By the way, the modern wider rubber will feel much different than the 165/80s you had before, I went from a wider tire (195 I think, long ago, don't remember) to a 165/80 Dunlop on my TR4A years ago (sadly no longer available off the shelf) and I felt like the car really came alive, steering was lighter and car felt more balanced and was great fun to chuck around the turns and sporting but not crazy speeds.

I know this is being said by the guy that has 205s on his car now, but I autocross it and went for the higher limits, and easier to find tire size.

OP
O

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
The 72 spoke wheels were sitting in storage in a garage that specializes in wire wheel restoration, so I wasn't out anything. The splines were offset and the tires were old, so I'm back to my 60 spoke originals. I settled on 185/65/15's for size. I feel it's a good compromise. The real task was finding a tire that had smooth ribbing inside, since the consensus from my readings was that the more prominent the ribbing the more likely the tubes (I have to use tubes with my old 60 spokers) will rub and fatigue. I looked at General's, Pirellis, Kumho's, Continental's, and Michelin. Michelin Defenders by far had the smoothest interior, and although expensive there were many 'buy 4, get one free' offers from Costco, America's Tire, Pep Boys. The car should be finished in a few weeks and I'll give some feedback on the tires then. I've driven this for 48 years, so I think I'll know if there are any handling, noise, other issues. Sure would be nice to have a set of Minilite like wheels with splines though, except they are way to expensive for me.

nicodiaz

Freshman Member
I replaced 195 in my TR4A irs with new alloy wheel, but the front wheels , not tires, rubbed against the frame when making a full turn. Installing spacers solved the problem. Try not using spacers with elongated holes to simplify reinstalling wheels and for better balance, maybe.

Robert
'66 Tr 4a Irs
Oceanside, Ca