• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

yet another Flame Thrower conversion

blumagnet

Freshman Member
I realize I may be beating a dead horse, as there has been a lot of input regarding electronic ignitions on this forum. However, I am wondering if there have been any new technological advancements since some of these older posts. I am planning on installing a Flame Thrower distributor in my 1275. I have a Lucas sport coil, but after reading some of the older posts, it sounds as though replacing that with a Petronix ignition coil at the same time wouldn't be a bad idea. It also sounds like I will need different plug & coil wires than the stock Lucas replacement wires & cap I have on hand (right angle, but the new distributor has the straight cap); any suggestions which wires are best? I would like to think this is the last journey through the ignition system I may need for a while & would like to upgrade to the most reliable modern technology out there. What do you think is the best combination of ignition components? What about plugs? I have been using NGK BP6ES with better results than Champion N9Y and wonder if there are even more advanced replacements (EC3?)
Apologies in advance if I have insulted any purists by suggesting non-stock alternatives...

G

Apologies in advance if I have insulted any purists by suggesting non-stock alternatives...

No worries, none here. :eagerness: I use solid copper sore Accels but I don't use the radio and I wouldn't put Champions in my lawnmower. I got the universal V8 set for $20 which allows me to make two sets of wires. I should be good on wires for the rest of my life.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When in doubt about ignition systems, ask Jeff at Adavanced Distributor. He sells (and I use) the Bosch wires with right angle ends, his red rotors and this Dizzy Cap with Brass contacts. .. on a Crane system, but I find this stuff to be the best available.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Blu - I too thought I wanted a Pertronix dizzy..and bought one. When I went to install, I was less than impressed with the fit of the dizzy cap (and it's specific to their distributor) it could rotate 2-4 Deg once 'in place' and was generally loose in my opinion.
I ended up ditching it and having Jeff rebuild my Lucas Dizzy with a Pertronix module.. Which I would highly recommend. For the same (or less) money, Jeff will set your dizzy up to your engine configuration..with a proper rebuilt unit.