• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

long time no see

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been away fro a few months so thought I'd check in. In Jan I finally managed to complete the destruction on on my left knee. there was no option but to get a total replacement so after a glitch with my provider they relented and got the surgery. All good till right before the end of therapy when surprise..they said I had a heart problem?? So here I sit at home..just over two week out of open heart surgery. I was choppered to Lubbock texas in 50-60 mph winds so thats when I started to realize things were serious. No pain..not short of breath..just swelling around my knees. I was given every test possible and the decision was made I was in need of quad bypass. During the tests I was found to be in heart failure and only 10% percent of my heart was working. Miracles happen everyday someplace and I had mine.An operation that should have lasted 5 hours or so...took 2. In ICU sitting up right away and walking the next morning. I had 5 Cardio docs and they all came to my room saying they had never seen anything like it. Within 2 days all tube and hardware removed and was ready to leave ICU but had to stay as regular heart floor was full..so I just hung out with the best nurses in the world. 2 days later moved upstairs and next day..5 days post op..went home. NEVER had a pain. Even though I'm fine...I'm retiring and sell everything. So keep your eye out for the sale......

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOW! Take care of yourself, Jack. Glad things went as they did; sounds like you've got your priorities straight.

Mickey

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So they put you under to do the knee and you had heart problems
Lousy doctors, I'd not go back
That could have killed you

Edit:
Must be VET admin

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Jeeze Jack. Glad to hear you're on the mend. That could have been far worse. Sounds like retirement is not a bad idea. I hope you enjoy it for a good long time. If you're selling any Bay-window VW bus parts, I'm in the market. I'll keep watch. Fair market value sounds good.

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
DNK....knee was in January...this just happened. wasn't something that happened overnite. This happened in april ..AND..had it not been found when it did..I wouldn't be here talking about it. I got outstandinding care and am very hapy to be alive

D

Deleted member 8987

Hmm. I do believe, based upon watching this over the decades, that the last thing I would do after a major issue like this (that was fixed) is get rid of everything.
Too many folks I know...or knew...retired, sold it all off...and were gone in six months.
You gotta have something to occupy your mind and body.
Dave

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TOC..keeping the shop but dumping customer service work. I'll do what I want when I want. I have numerous projects started that hopefully now I can complete. Plus we have our place in S. Florida and am looking for a nice Class A motorhome so when we"re here..we can head up into the Northwest and see places we haven"t been. So I don't think boredom will be a problem. Plus I plan on expanding my mission work with my good friends out of Sugarloaf United Methodist Church out of Atlanta. Heading out for one on a Navajo Pueblo on !2 July.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jack- I'm sure the heart was bad in January too.
Before I went under the knife first thing they did was make sure my ticker was good
The gas passer hates it when you stroke out on the table

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Jack, you are indeed a lucky man. I suspect your maker wanted you around for a while so you can continue in your good works for others less fortunate than us. Retire and do whatever moves you.

D

Deleted member 8987

TOC..keeping the shop but dumping customer service work. I'll do what I want when I want. I have numerous projects started that hopefully now I can complete. Plus we have our place in S. Florida and am looking for a nice Class A motorhome so when we"re here..we can head up into the Northwest and see places we haven"t been. So I don't think boredom will be a problem. Plus I plan on expanding my mission work with my good friends out of Sugarloaf United Methodist Church out of Atlanta. Heading out for one on a Navajo Pueblo on !2 July.

I think it was this quote in the first post got my mind thinking like that:
"Even though I'm fine...I'm retiring and sell everything. So keep your eye out for the sale...... "
Everything.....is everything.
Good you've refined that!
Dave

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

So, buy a trailer and pay for your trips by delivering all the stuff we wish we could buy but aren't close enough to pick up. And, really glad you're back!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jack, Glad to hear from you again,& that your okay.If things ever settle down,I might be selling our TR6,& would be interested in something that you're selling,if that happens. PM me,if you have any convertibles for sale,at your convience. - Doug

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only thing about retirement is, I seem to work harder than when I was working, you know, the (HONEY DO) list, for one! Told the wife I'm thinking about going back to work to get a rest! She says I can't, I haven't finished doing everything on the list yet! :highly_amused: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome home, Jack! Good physicians and clinicians are worth their weight in gold. Glad you found the right crew. When you're down here get in touch.

G

Lucky aint got nuthin' ta do with it guys, "as a man sows, so shall he reap". :wink: We have a deacon here who cavitated a few years back and docs said the same thing. Jack, lemma know what you're letting go type 1 wise before you head to Florida. I'm on your way down. Glad to hear you're o.k.

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As the days go by I feel stronger and have been able to go out and about..visit old friends..make some new ones. The thing I've noticed is there are so mane folks of my age (60-70) that are literally falling apart. Heart,Liver, strokes etc. Today I sat with an old pal and listened as he described a stroke he suffered less than 24 hours after having tests at the local hospital that included a stress test. Within two minute of treadmilling...the shut it down as he felt strange. They just went on to other tests and sent him home. The next day he couldn't use his right leg very good...of raise his arm to shower or comb his hair.?? Went to hospital and told him one test had nothing to do with what had happened..so now he has sold out his business and is devastated that he has so little strength but does have full function back. Same hospital that had me flown out to a bigger hospital but all my medical records...all the tests they did before sending me out ...disappeared. So I spent over a week having all new tests before telling me I was near death and needed open heart surgery. I guess I shouldn't complain but there seems to be a trend here.

G

So I spent over a week having all new tests before telling me I was near death and needed open heart surgery. I guess I shouldn't complain but there seems to be a trend here.

I spent ten day straight in the hospital with my Grandmother and they would have killed her had I not been there...seriously....

The good news is that all the years of training to become the obstinate, hard headed outspoken PITA that I am FINALLY paid off. :grin:

Glad to hear you're doing better. Tell your buddy he should start felling better also. "As a man thinketh.."