• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Want me to leave, eh?

G

Then Take THAT! :grin:

Very time consuming but so much fun to make. Been inna studio several hours, no idea how many I have finished at the moment but not nearly enough especially for the amount of time I have in them. Lotta fun though.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They need a bit more cayenne.

OP
G

What are you gonna do with them?

Makin' a tree outta some old cable I annealed inna wood stove. I'm not even close to finished with it yet. I have a few ideas for a base but might not have time to do what I really want. I'm not doing the branches till I get the base sorted out and it mounted. It's just hanging in the studio for now.

The thing about the leaves is they not only look real, they feel and sound real too. I'm really happy with the way they are coming out. I may not have time to complete the theme I was going after but oh well.

OP
G

They need a bit more cayenne.

Funny you would say that but I was thinking of boiling the whole time. Ya know, might have to make some crawfish however; it could prove to be problematic with another artist/friend. I'll have to see.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Makin' a tree outta some old cable I annealed inna wood stove. I'm not even close to finished with it yet. I have a few ideas for a base but might not have time to do what I really want. I'm not doing the branches till I get the base sorted out and it mounted. It's just hanging in the studio for now.

The thing about the leaves is they not only look real, they feel and sound real too. I'm really happy with the way they are coming out. I may not have time to complete the theme I was going after but oh well.

I've seen a lot of cable that looked like that in the construction business over the years, but it wasn't classified as art work back then! :highly_amused: PJ

OP
G

I've seen a lot of cable that looked like that in the construction business over the years, but it wasn't classified as art work back then! :highly_amused: PJ

Yeah, I think they called it a law suit. :playful: It's weird working with something you have to think 10-15 moves ahead. It's almost like 3D chess, 4D actually. Still trying to figure out how I want the branches to play out. I have all the outter stands unraveled from the main core for now. It's all going to depend on how it'll balance on the base. For what it is, it's kinda heavy and a real pain to work with in three foot sections especially when weaving. I would have liked to have gone a bit further with it forge-wise but I'm not set up for it at the moment.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I think you have a very unique idea for the finished product! When finished, I hope you display it here for all to see. :encouragement: PJ

OP
G

Got the base figured, big 6" thick piece of styro made to look like a hunk of broken slab. I found a ton of the stuff onna interstate last week, Great for lost foam casting cores.

I'm doing the tree of knowledge "Of good and evil", some of the leaves are metal and spiky. I wanted the tree to sit on a cast or clay skull and have the roots come over and around like Eve's hair and mebbe some braids, with an apple in her mouth and a worm in the apple, that would be a snake..or mebbe have it comin' outta her eyes or something.

I figured that may be a bit much for someone to buy not to mention, the person who judges doesn't see the title and might not get it.

CARP !!! I just figured I shoulda done fig leaves instead !!! (mighta been a fig tree anyway; ever figure?)

I dig the overall concept cause, whatever went down...at some point ol' boy (meaning whomever) realized: A. at some point he did somethin' "wrong", B. He was nekkid.

It's a universal concept no matter what camp you're in.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great idea Billy, I can't wait to see the finished sculpture.

Last edited:
OP
G

now I'm having a change of heart. Instead of sitting on the slab with the roots wrapped around, I'm thinking about hanging it from the ceiling and attaching the slab by magnets built into the slab v.s wrapping the roots around it. This way there will be no ovious signs of support on the slab. If I'm making the slab light, I should at least make the lightness interesting. I'm thinking about this because my test slab looks so real I'm afraid folks will think I just used a hunk of concrete. The slab should weight about 15-20 lbs and I can get 2- 1"X1/4" neodidwhatchamacallit magnets that hold 24.5lbs each for $12. What do you guys think?

Just found this: https://www.harborfreight.com/66mm-round-magnet-96650.html

OP
G

Getting closer, limb onna lower right still needs some work. Me phalanges is all up in bandages right now. :highly_amused:

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like the magnet idea. With it hanging it adds to the visual depth. Lookin good, keep posting.

OP
G

Man, I just don't know. You realy cant see it here but the roots get lost in the metal and leaves on concrete look/feel very familiar.