• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Spring compressor

airlifter

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I don't have one so I made my own, kinda. I found a grade 8 all thread and cut a length about twenty inches. I put one end up through the shock mount and double nutted the top. Put the spring in place and used a three sixteenth plate under the lower spring mount. Held the top nuts with vise grips and tightened the bottom nut. Worked like a charm and I felt safe using the grade 8 all thread.

i did use a bottle jack to push the lower A-arm up to make the rear studs easier to install.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sounds very similar to my home made compressor. I might add that I believe that the bolt that I used was not a grade 8 but it is about 1/2 inch in diameter. I have used it now for removing at least six springs and likely more than that.
Charley

dwalpole

airlfiter or charleyf,

Do either of you have pics of your compressors in action? I'll need one when I do the suspension on my 6.

Thanks,
Don

OP
A

airlifter

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I do not have a picture and i hope don't have the occasion to use it again for a while.

it is pretty simple. I put the all the all thread through the top shock mount with a flat washer and double nuts. At the bottom I put it through the lower spring/shock mount and used a 3/16 plate with another flat washer. I held the top with vise grips.

I used a twenty inch length but I knew how much I needed. If you are removing the spring you might want a little more length to be sure all torque is out of the spring.

I was concerned about the strength of regular all thread but it sounds like Charley has had good luck with his.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Within the next few weeks I will be assembling the front suspension on a TR3. I will get some pictures when I do.
Charley

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My own humble opinion is that grade 8 is probably not necessary. I have used 1/2" NC all thread (probably grade 2 or 5) for spring compressors without any problems. If I were a vendor, grade 8 or acme threads might make sense because of liability issues or advertising value. I would go with 1/2" or larger dia. and lubricate the threads.
Berry

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
airlfiter or charleyf,

Do either of you have pics of your compressors in action? I'll need one when I do the suspension on my 6.

Thanks,
Don

I have now completed the front suspension assembly and actually remembered to take some pictures. Don, if you will send me your email address ( I think again as I believe that you did send it to me and I lost it), I will send you some pictures and a description of what I made and use.
Charley:fat:

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Charley. Could you post pictures and description here so we might all see this please? Thanks, Mike

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The bolt is 5/8 inch in diameter. The bolt is 18" long. As you can see by the pictures I use several washers that vary in size but are large. The square one I got from a building supply where it is normally used as a baseboard /sill washer in house construction it is about 2-1/4 " square and over 3/16" thick. It fits perfectly between the shock mounting bolts. By double nutting the bottom of the bolt I can use a vice grip or a second person to hold the top single nut and drive the bolt up with an air impact gun or by hand if you just want a lot of exercise. Note the long bolts in place of two of the standard spring pan bolts to use to guide the spring pan up. This was done on a TR3.
spring compressor
may 2014 TR3 spring compressor 001.jpgmay 2014 TR3 spring compressor 003.jpgmay 2014 TR3 spring compressor 004.jpgmay 2014 TR3 spring compressor 006.jpgmay 2014 TR3 spring compressor 009.jpgmay 2014 TR3 spring compressor 011.jpgmay 2014 TR3 spring compressor 010.jpgmay 2014 TR3 spring compressor 009.jpg

Last edited:

leexray

Freshman Member
Country flag
I had all the materials except the "square washer" and wanted to put this together. So, Charley, in the third photo, I noticed that I could read the UPC code on the sticker - "44315 54500" - so I googled it and it came up (!) - it's a Simpson Strong-Tie bearing plate, 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" for 5/8" bolt diameter. Available at my Home Depot for $1.36 - what a deal!

So... thanks for the photos, and thanks for not removing that sticker with the UPC code! :encouragement:
Lee

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I believe the important factor in the ones sold by the "Big 3" is that they use ACME threads which is a much safer thread under load............. or so I've been told.

Nope. At least the one I just bought is 5/8 UNC. It came with a warning enclosed to use the special grease, also included, to prevent galling of the threads. Other than that everything you need is readily available at your local hardware for about $10. If you want acme threads, which would be a good choice, check one of the old scissor jacks you have in your iron pile.
Tom