• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Color change...impact on Value?

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Well, we are getting close to the point where it is time to chose a color. The 1960 i am restoring was originally white with red interior, but we really do not care for the white...no offense to those who do. I'd like to change the exterior color to either black, silver, or the color in this video.

1. Do you think it will impact the value of the car. The car has a 1967 Engine and Trans, so it's not exactly correct to begin with.

2. Does anybody know what color is on the car in the video?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3uZevwYj0c

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Every deviation from stock, except for period accessories like chrome wires and wood steering wheels, is likely to either negatively affect value and/or reduce the number of prospective buyers that will be interested in the car. Sticking with a stock Healey color is always the safest and with your red interior I think either black or red would be the only choices. Personally, I love the look of a black Healey with red interior and red coves. OTOH, it never seems to make sense to me to build a car for the next owner. If you're planning on keeping the car for a while, paint it the way you want and worry about any loss in value when you sell it. The color of the car car in the video isn't a standard color on the 3000 although it looks similar to the color on the 100 in the engine ID plate thread. It seems to be a popular color on some of the Factory Five builds I've seen and seems to complement the curves of the car. Google "gunmetal gray metallic" and you'll find plenty of images of that color on modern cars that shouldn't be too hard to get a paint code for.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I agree with Rick. If you go with a color that was not an originally offered choice, you reduce the number of potential buyers. You might eventually find one who will pay the same price as if the car were painted an original color, but you might not, or you might have to be very patient. I know that when you're restoring a car, its eventual sale is usually one of the farthest things from your mind, but it would be wise to keep the future in mind - it never, ever fails to arrive.

In "Healey culture" there is little-to-no stigma attached to painting a Healey in any of the colors that were originally offered at the time the Healey was made, so you have a few good choices regardless of which model you have or when it was built.

If you are determined to "color outside the lines" and you are sure that you won't mind reduced value and more difficulty in selling it some day, you could take a lesson from some auction sales of Healeys in non-original colors. Aston Martin green (a light, metallic green; something like a green version of Healey Blue) and maroon (like you often see on E-Types) both seem to work very well and at least they are "period correct" British car colors.

I'd say, don't build the car for the next owner, but do build it in a way that pleases both you and that guy. You'll thank yourself now and later.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Reid did not say it quite this way, but I will: many non-standard colors simply do not look right on a Healey. They may be beautiful colors in their own right, but wind up making the car look "resto-modded." If you are radically modifying your car, then have at it with colors because it will not look standard anyway. But if you are sticking with original specifications, stick with original paint colors. Most anything else will possibly look odd and you won't know until you are done. There are plenty of Healeys out there to buy, and even a mildly discerning buyer will see a non-standard color a mile away and keep looking. And since the whole darn car is painted body color, it is not a matter of an easy spray job at Earl Scheib to put it right. The older our cars get, the more important originality becomes. My opinion!

OP
C

christophe

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the replies. No restomod here...just sticking with the basics. I didn't think that the color in the video was a stock color, but it did appear to be a bit blue/gray, so I thought it might have been. In my opinion, red is one of the best colors one these cars and that is coming from a guy that doesn't like red. However, black will probably be the best choice. I can get a great single stage black from SPI that will make spraying the superstructure very easy.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Since the project Healey I did already deviated from stock (280Z/5 speed), I was less concerned with originality. The car was originally white and I chose the color I thought would look best to the lines of the car, which I settled on a same period Jaguar British Racing Green. I think it only helped me when I sold it and received nothing but high complements on the color at the few shows I brought it to. It would have been a much more difficult decision if the car was all stock. However, I found that if I do what I want to do, there has always been at least one person (with money) that is willing to pay for a well done car, even if it drifts from originality, but stays with the spirit of the car.

rearfencereflect.jpg

Last edited:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
HealeyZ

BRG was a colour that was available on BJ8s so most people would think it was original even though a slightly different type of BRG.

Christophe, Black is a good colour, but even better with red coves and interior.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Best to stick with traditional Healey colors . If not, then a nice red ,green or black. Healeys do look great in the creamy white they originally were sprayed with . They do not look good in refrigerator white .

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Since it not original I would paint it any color you want chances are your never going to sell it any way I seen a gray over red with red interior that looked awesome ,I also always liked the original healey blue have my car for over 25 yrs now that's not original its white over red thinking of making a change

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
HealeyZ
BRG was a colour that was available on BJ8s so most people would think it was original even though a slightly different type of BRG.

The Healey green that I've seen is a leafy green, and not the dark, rich color I was after. Even Jag has 3-5 different BRG, this one really changes it's look, almost to black in different lights. Regardless, I agree that most people will not know if you choose an original color, as long as it is a period color.

ahealey1004

I haven't seen anyone suggest black over pink yet... (hope this picture posts correctly otherwise my comment loses impact!).
IMG_3211.JPG

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
You do realize he has a RED interior, don't you? :eeek::eeek::eeek:

OK, I was saving this combination for a future time for myself, but I'll offer it here now: I think it would be absolutely stunning - stunning, I say! - to combine a Healey Blue car with a red interior. I've seen this on an old AC and it just oozes - oozes, I say! - style and class.

I have a Healey Blue and Old English White BN2 and have thought about replacing the blue interior with red, but I'm afraid that with the white sides it would go very red-white-and-blue and look like a Corvette that an Elvis impersonator would drive. That said, I like the idea of blue with red so much that someday I may have the white sides done on Healey Blue so that the car is solid Healey blue, and then get that red interior. Someday somebody is going to do it, and it's going to look spectacular, although it is, admittedly, not for the style-shy.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
My wife wants me (and I agree) to paint my Healey grey with black coves with red interior.
John

Attachments

• 71238-1-large.jpg
    71238-1-large.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 117

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OK, I was saving this combination for a future time for myself, but I'll offer it here now: I think it would be absolutely stunning - stunning, I say! - to combine a Healey Blue car with a red interior. I've seen this on an old AC and it just oozes - oozes, I say! - style and class.

I LIKE it!

29w5zd5.jpg

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick and Reid, that just completely messes up the plans for my car... Stunning.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Since the project Healey I did already deviated from stock (280Z/5 speed), I was less concerned with originality. The car was originally white and I chose the color I thought would look best to the lines of the car, which I settled on a same period Jaguar British Racing Green. I think it only helped me when I sold it and received nothing but high complements on the color at the few shows I brought it to. It would have been a much more difficult decision if the car was all stock. However, I found that if I do what I want to do, there has always been at least one person (with money) that is willing to pay for a well done car, even if it drifts from originality, but stays with the spirit of the car.

I agree with your choice

For Marin-Sonoma.jpg