• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Your thoughts/value of this TR4

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Mink's '62 TR4 resto / was: Your thoughts/value of this TR4

Hi all. First off, let me say that I know next to nothing about Triumphs, but recently came upon this 1962 TR4 for sale and wanted your expert opinions. It's a project car, but it looks to be very solid and complete to my untrained eyes, but that's why I'm asking the experts. Story goes that it was a runner up until the late 90s when the previous owner started an alternator/negative ground conversion and lost interest. This doesn't bother me, but my ignorance of all things TR4 does.

If you could take a look at this album and give me your opinions on this car (including what you think it might be worth), I would be grateful. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/S7h27

P.S. He says he has the bumpers, even though they're not on the car. I haven't see it in person yet, but plan to go this week some time.

Last edited:

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
It looks to be a good solid , straight car that needs a complete restoration. It looks to have been run way past its prime so everything will need to be done. To make it reliable and safe you'll spend $5,000 easily on brakes ,wiring, exhaust, cooling, carbs, fuel system , tires etc. I sold one a few years ago for $3500 that ran and drove but needed more body work that you have. I would think this is worth $3000 like it is.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Hey Mink, right up the road from you in Loomis. It looks solid, pretty complete, but it has a lot of work in front of it to get it to the point of being enjoyable. I bought my 6 for $4600 which was running, driving, but had many problems that had to be sorted out. I put about $6000 into it, better than half of it was an awesome paint job. If this were a project I was looking at, I would walk away on anything greater than $3k. I would budget $9k for a restore and probably have 100's of hours and a $15k car when done. There is a good network of a Triumph people for things like carb rebuild and unique TR things. A lot of them in the area as well! Is that the factory color?
99E96E49-0803-4AFD-A8FB-766E1E118DE1-2453-0000032E394A1B66.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Looks pretty solid and complete, is there a rear bumper, they aren't cheap (about $500, if there isn't one you could use it to try to get the price down a bit), but I would poke the frame here and there and everywhere with a screwdriver, as they can rust from the inside out, but the body looks pretty solid, so the frame is probably OK, but you never know. Interior bits are expensive when you have to buy everything, gauges and original seat frames in place are a plus. The mechanics on these cars are simple, rugged and pretty readily available new and used (for some items).

I agree with the assessment of it being a good buy at around 3K if you are looking for a project, if you did your own bodywork you might even be able to have something worth more than you put into it (counting the value of your labor at the going amateur restoration rate of $0.00 an hour of course).

OP
Mink

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. He's asking $4K for it, so $3K might be feasible. I am looking for a project, so it sounds like this might be a good jumping off point. I do my own body/paint/welding/mechanical work so that's not an issue. He did say he has the bumpers but I haven't seen them. Based on your opinions, I think it's definitely worth checking out. I'll let you guys know if I end up with it.

So apart from the bumpers (which may come with it), what other expensive bits do you guys see that are missing? Their absence might make for good negotiation points.

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
It looks like some of the gauges might not be stock. Body rust doesn't seem to be a problem. I hope the bumpers are there, as the owner says. I also am close to you, just across Sunrise Blvd. Although a little newer, I can show you an unmolested original TR4A for reference.

OP
Mink

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Perry, if I get this car I will definitely take you up on that. I lived in Carmichael myself for 15 years before moving to Fair Oaks. Still own a house there.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
... I do my own body/paint/welding/mechanical work so that's not an issue.

You are a very lucky guy!

If you're not familiar with these cars, I'd really suggest you take a TR4 owner with you when you go to see it in person. Looks to be orange peel paint in one of the photos, which would indicate a cheap paint job, which *could* indicate problems underneath the paint.

Good luck.
Tom

HealeyDave

Country flag
Just as another example: here's another TR4 on the Sacramento craigs list: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4357455486.html
Yes - More money. Seats don't look correct. Front end looks like it needs some body work. But, if the car is solid and drives - you could enjoy driving it for a bit before you launch into a re$toration. In fact, with a 'driver', you could do work in the off season (is there an off season in Cali :smile-new: ) and drive it the rest of the time.
So, a key question might be - do you want a nice 'driver', or a full restoration? Just a thought. This coming from someone who is about 7 years into a Healey resto. :grumpy:
But - if you want a 'project' right out of the box, then the TR4 you are looking at looks like it might be a good starting point.
my 2 cents

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Good morning and welcome. These are easy cars to deal with mechanically, so while not something to loose sight of buying on body condition is usually more important than the oily bits. That said, if the engine / transmission need work and you have body work and lots of trim it adds up quickly.

What are your plans for the car? Driver? Show? Touring events?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Lucky you Mink, on being able to fix most things on a car worth restoring. Have a good look at the frame rail on the passenger side, looks to be a large hole and this could be a major problem, not just in that area but a weak frame all the way around. Take a sharp pick and give the frame a jab in some of the areas around all of the suspension junctions to the frame. A replacement is available but cost more that the car.

Wayne

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I think the estimate for repairs could be low. Parts for an engine rebuild with machining and you do the labor yourself is about $2500. The interior kits is probably about at least $1000-1500. And then paint. Body looks good but a paint job has been costing me $2500, although I think my mini may have only cost about 800-1000 because I painted it myself.
Jerry

OP
Mink

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Lucky you Mink, on being able to fix most things on a car worth restoring. Have a good look at the frame rail on the passenger side, looks to be a large hole and this could be a major problem, not just in that area but a weak frame all the way around. Take a sharp pick and give the frame a jab in some of the areas around all of the suspension junctions to the frame. A replacement is available but cost more that the car.

Wayne

Is this what you're referring to? I hadn't noticed that before but I will definitely take a close look at it when I see the car.

12891414133_8dae8a2cef_o.jpg

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mink, I saw that and as it was right under the spring shackle but have a good look at the next picture. large hole on the side of the frame.

Wayne

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I apologize if it has been mentioned all ready, but since it was obviously repainted at some point, check closely where the rear valence meets up with the rear fenders all the way along the upper beading there, the area probably didn't get much paint or rust protection, and the crap that gets thrown up there causes corrosion to start where you don't expect it so much, up high, it is not too difficult a repair if you have a welder, but worth checking out on a potential purchase.

The floors look really good, big bonus! Good sign as well.

OP
Mink

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So I took a look at it today. It's DRY. Both of those "rust" pics above were just paint spots on the frame. It's perfect. The floors are dry, the rear valence is dry. It's really solid. Bumpers are present as are the original hub caps, headlight rings, a tonneau cover, and a new top cover in the trunk. The wiring is a MESS. Missing things I spotted are air cleaners, generator, horn button, front signal lenses and the tag with the body number (VIN tag is there). I'm sure there's more.

I couldn't get him down to $3000 but we're pretty close. I think I might pick it up. Pics later.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The wiring is a MESS? Join the club! That describes many of our cars when we first got them.

Good luck to you - sounds like the adventure is just beginning.

Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The stuff you mention as missing are common and inexpensive items. Wiring harnesses are readily available and quite simple on this car - even if it wasn't a mess a new harness makes lots of other work easier.

Good luck -- sounds like you've found your TR.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mink, glad all was solid and welcome. Look forward to you coming on the forum and what you are going to find and say "What did they do that for". Surprise!

Wayne