• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What are the odds it is a "little" problem?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Probably a little more than the creative wiring at the steering column. And the added turn signal mechanism.

That "bump bump bump" sound when the engine idles is the automatic lubrication system. Yeah right.

D

Deleted member 8987

Depends. If you really want it, and it's solid.......fix it. Just get it for a price you can afford, remembering engine bearings.
Or wrist pin knock. Or piston slap. Or tapered bores.
Or a handful of other things.
You can always get a bad crank throw welded and turned if that's where the issue is.
What's the asking, what's a good running one worth?
Dave

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
No price mentioned, if you can get it for the right price it could be worth it still, be aware that it will about as slow as a slug, based on conversations I've had with other Prefect owners...

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wasn't Ford Prefect the main character from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? I didn't understand the reference back then, but I do now.

That was like in the Mel Brooks movie "The Producers", Roger DeVries' personal assistant was "Carmen Ghia".

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Interesting website Doug.

The guy wants $5500 for the car

D

Deleted member 8987

5500? Will you be able to drive it home?
I certainly am not up on prices of orphans......but for something with engine problems.....and how much body rot when you get it on a lift......I would think substantially less than that.
But hey, that's just me.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If the guy is firm at $5500, assume at least $2000 for engine work, maybe more, plus whatever else. What is the car worth in top running and appearance condition? Is it all original? Not something you see everyday though and would be nice to own. JMHO. PJ

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Some of those older English Fords have babbit bearings that are poured. But they can be converted to insert-type bearings.

If it is running but knocking, do not drive it home until you are sure what's wrong. As TOC says, may be able to save it by welding up and regrinding crank + new bearings. Other engine knocks might be cam/lifter related. Or even a slapping timing chain. That engine is a flathead, so no rocker arms. Later model Prefect 101e flathead (up to around '58) will probably fit but they are not exactly common in N. America.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I don't imagine myself owning it, asked for the price more out of curiosity than anything else. Watching Foyle's War has definitely got me dreaming about 40's vintage cars, and you may recall SWMBO "suggesting" I loose the Vauxhall and get a "limo type" car for the nieces and nephews proms. That said, I increasingly understand how these LBC's are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one.

One thing I find fascinating is how "orphans" are valued. Partly because there is so darn few of them. The other week I looked at a Daimler 2.5 - the guy wanted 5k and I figure I could have bought it, put 10k in and still had a nice 10k car. That said, Daimlers are waaay undervalued compared to their Jag counterparts and I think they are actually a cooler car - mostly because of the hemi. A couple years ago a localish guy had a Triumph Mayflower for sale - immaculately restored. Now I have a serious soft spot for Mayflowers and this was for sail for 6k - I think a real bargain. (and no I didn't call) On the other hand, someone in my club newsletter is trying to to sell a '34 Austin Ascot for 25k (Bentley money) and a Nash Metropolitan for 22k.

I know it is hard to value these things at the best of times (with a few exceptions) but, orphans are a class by themselves - and you know how I love orphans ;)

G

I know it is hard to value these things at the best of times (with a few exceptions) but, orphans are a class by themselves - and you know how I love orphans ;)

Well, you don't get a check unless you do....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

WOW! Two Dickensian references in one post!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Please sir I want some more!

MORE !!~??

Wow, now that's an oldie! Good movie that I haven't seen in quite a while. PJ

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That '49 has a 4 cylinder flathead. It has insert main bearing but it does have babbit rod bearings. Yes, there is a kit available to convert to insert rods also. All the parts for a complete rebuild are available today, unlike several years ago when my '48 (same engine) needed a rebuild. I replaced it with a later 100E engine, same displacement and power and even looks much the same but a stronger design. Everything fit nicely after reconfiguring the oil pan and using '48 mounting system. It too had babbit rods that were converted to insert at a later rebuild. Story at my webpage if interested, see signature. That body looks really straight and it appears to even have its original leather interior. That was a $40 option in '48. Go for it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Proms and other public events? Well then, how 'bout:

1952_Daimler_Special_Sports_by_Barker_SP.jpg

Daimler Special Sports. If you'd be using the car for public events, seems a soft top would be preferable. Of course, safety and reliability - and insurability for frequent (not "show car") use - might be issues to consider very seriously.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
JP- you don't need that car, you NEED a 12 step program!!!! :smile:
BillM
Sorry but it HAD to be said!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hmm, an intervention - from this crowd? Now that's funny. :grin: except maybe Drew, but even he is a serial offender. No, you are right, I don't the Prefect - though it is cute. I love the Daimler but it will require much deeper pockets than mine. On the plus side, dreaming and speculation is free.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Man, that Daimler is a beaut.