• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BT7 Dash Gauge Light Bulb Replacement Help Needed

srickss

Freshman Member
Im trying to replace the bulbs in the Tachometer, fuel gauge and the temp/oil pressure gauges in my 60 BT7. Before I tear into them is there anything to know? It looks like the mounting posts will unthread. Any help? Thanks.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yes, to remove the gauges, remove the screw wheels (what came on the cars) from the two long bolts.
You don't need to remove the gauges to remove replace the bulbs....BJ8 cars

The bulbs are E10 (screw type) 2.2 volt.
The bulbs are screwed into the bulb holders.
The bulb holders sort of snap into the gauges.
Just grasp the bulb holder and pull it straight out of the rear of the gauge.

Last edited:
Country flag
I can understand wanting to remove the gauges on a BJ8 to change the bulbs, but on a BT7, it's far easier to just reach under the dash and pop out the bulb holders. Removing the gauges can open up a can of worms, like O-rings being stuck to the dash/gauges (and often, both), the O-rings will almost certainly break in the process__even if they're only a few years old.

I'm sure I could come up with another handful of reasons to leave the gauges in situ and change just the bulbs...

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I agree, the thumb screws on one of my speedometer studs was rust-welded on and when using a pair of pliers to unscrew, I twisted the stud off at the base.

OP
S

srickss

Freshman Member
I see what you guys are talking about on the speedo and tach and will leave them in place. The fuel and temp/oil press. gauges dont have an external bulb mount. Were they not illuminated or do the gauges have to be taken apart to access?

Country flag
I see what you guys are talking about on the speedo and tach and will leave them in place. The fuel and temp/oil press. gauges dont have an external bulb mount. Were they not illuminated or do the gauges have to be taken apart to access?
There was originally a bulb-holder "side-car style" attached to the bail (clamp) that secures the gauge to the dash, which is extremely external, and serves to provide a fair amount of ambient light from under the dash.

I'll look to see if I have a picture of one...

But anyway, the external bulb shines through some slotted windows to illuminate the insides of the gauge, through a bit of a diffuser, so taking them apart will open up an even bigger can of worms ;)

Country flag
Well, this is the backside of a BJ8 dash; looks like their fuel gauge (extreme left) has a bulb holder similar to the tach/speedo (bulb holder is dangling out of the picture), but the safety gauge has an external bulb holder (red wire w/white stripe going to it).

In any case, all the gauge illumination lamps should have the same color wire going to them (4) then the hig beam, ignition lamp, and turn signals have their appropriate (blue, yellow & green w/tracers) wires to them.

IMG_3678.jpg

Country flag
My bad: another picture shows the BJ8 safety gauge to have a built in lamp holder too...

... but, if you can imagine, the bulb holder is attached to the leg of the bail (clamp) holding the gauge to the dash panel. Should be obvious when you look under there.

OP
S

srickss

Freshman Member
Have not looked at the fuel gauge but my temp/oil pressure gauge does not have an obvious external bulb fitting like the BJ8 version pictured. It looks as though my gauge has in internal bulb if it has one at all. Just want to be sure before I take the gauge apart.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My BT7 has external bulb holders on everything except the tach and speedo. If your temp/oil gauge has an internal bulb, I would guess that it has been replaced with a later model gauge.

Country flag
Have not looked at the fuel gauge but my temp/oil pressure gauge does not have an obvious external bulb fitting like the BJ8 version pictured. It looks as though my gauge has in internal bulb if it has one at all. Just want to be sure before I take the gauge apart.
Well, make sure there's a wire going inside (should be red w/white stripe) before you take it apart, only to discovered you've ruined__very easy to do with a fuel gauge__and that someone previously replaced the bail with one sans a bulb holder...

OP
S

srickss

Freshman Member
OK, just looked at my fuel and temp/oil pressure gauge and there is no bulb socket on those two and there also is no red and white wire for them either under the dash. The tach and speedo have the red and white wire and the lamp sockets. These gauges are all the original ones as the car has been in our family since basically new. Were these gauges not lit originally? Whats the deal?

Country flag
They would've had lamps; check items # 35 & 36 on this Moss Motors page. Apparently, I haven't been able to get the description across verbally, and being on vacation at the beach, don't have ready access to my car to get a picture of what the d*mned thing looks like: https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=115867

Anybody care to pick up my slack and show the guy a picture of what one of the minor gauge lights looks like?

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've got your back Randy. (Although I'm jealous that you're at the beach).

Here is a cropped photo of the back of my dash. You can see the fuel gauge with a round cylinder on the top. The light plugs into that cylinder. I probably have a better picture at home, but that's about the best I can do here at work. Hope it helps.
IMG_3077 cropped.jpg

Country flag
I've got your back Randy. (Although I'm jealous that you're at the beach).

Here is a cropped photo of the back of my dash. You can see the fuel gauge with a round cylinder on the top. The light plugs into that cylinder. I probably have a better picture at home, but that's about the best I can do here at work. Hope it helps.
View attachment 29921
That's what I'm talking about! You can even see through the "windows" in the gauge housing (close to the dash) where the illumination floods the interior of the unit.

OP
S

srickss

Freshman Member
I totally get what you guys are saying but mine is apparantly different. I neither have a wire for the socket or the bulb socket holder on the gauge. Here are a couple of pics. It must have had it originally because I see the slotted blue plastic strips around the gauge to let the light in. photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG My gauge also has two mounting posts as you can see.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The bulb socket is on the metal piece that holds the gauge in the dashboard. It's not on the gauge itself.