• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hot armature electric motor

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have an N scale locomotive that I bought at a model railroad show. It is an Aurora/ Trix- could be forty years old. At first it would not run on the track so I used jumpers to the wheels. A little lubrication and it now runs. The armature, however seems to get very hot and there is the aroma of hot wire. Interesting that the engine runs to opposite of the other Trix locomotives, and it seems to run better in "reverse"- cab end at the rear.

T.T.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My Girlfriend recently bought me a "new" HO scale locomotive. It is a Fairbanks-Morse diesel made by AHM/Tyco and has a 1973 build date on the box. Had a very similar problem with it and I ended up having to tear it totally down to a bare frame to rebuild all the running gear to fix most of it's hot/smell issues. Still gets warm but it runs. Not sure why I bothered to fix it up as it doesn't have the pulling power or circuitry to operate on my railroad and converting it would involve a total replacement of the entire drive-train including the trucks.