• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Field Trip - RMS Titanic

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
After church today, the wife and I and our oldest son when to the RMS Titanic exhibit that is here in town at the Albuquerque Museum of Natural History until 27 Oct 13. It was very interesting and they had lots of artifacts recovered from the site. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take any pictures, except for the souvenir picture below. I was hoping this was going to have the Titanic itself as a backdrop, but only water.

titanic_bow copy.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Interesting. Albuquerque no less!
We were in Belfast in early July and visited the "Titanic Zone" (the area of the city where it was built). They're marketing all this to the max (after years of "The Troubles"). I saw a T-shirt that showed the ship that read "Built by an Irishman, Sunk by an Englishman!" Yes, well, there are still tensions. :wink-new: Anyway, I was surprised at how small the ship was by modern standards.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We were in Belfast in early July and visited the "Titanic Zone" (the area of the city where it was built). They're marketing all this to the max (after years of "The Troubles"). I saw a T-shirt that showed the ship that read "Built by an Irishman, Sunk by an Englishman!" Yes, well, there are still tensions. :wink-new: Anyway, I was surprised at how small the ship was by modern standards.

My understanding is there are a number of different exhibits traveling around the country. This one leaves for parts unknown (at least I know know where) on 27th Oct. I also bought a Keychain with a small amount of coal dust embedded that was recovered from the site. $6 for a tiny piece of history.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My understanding is there are a number of different exhibits traveling around the country. This one leaves for parts unknown (at least I know know where) on 27th Oct. I also bought a Keychain with a small amount of coal dust embedded that was recovered from the site. $6 for a tiny piece of history.

Neat! Amazing what they've recovered from over 2 miles down!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Neat! Amazing what they've recovered from over 2 miles down!

One of the items was a full suit of mans clothing. How THAT survived is anyone's guess! Lots of porcelain of course. Also, there was a leather tool bag in very good condition. Apparently some oils used on the bag helped to preserve it from the microbes.

When you entered the exhibit, they gave you a ticket that was an exact replica of on of the passenger's boarding passes. Each person was assigned the name of an actual passenger. Then, at the end of the exhibit, you could look up your "passenger name" on a list on the wall, and see if you were a victim or a survivor. I was "Colonel Archibald Gracie IV" 54 years old, traveling alone (first class) on his way back to NY from holiday abroad. He was on vacation following the publication of his book, "The Truth About Chickamauga," a recounting of one of the Civil War's bloodiest battles in which his father, a Confederate General, fought.

Colonel Gracie was one of the lucky survivors.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

The other T shirt I have heard of say, "it was fine when it left."

day before yesterday was looking at a sale online and they had a Tianic Tea Infuser. Made me laugh.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Anybody have a 3-d printer! I see a Basil hood ornament in the making!
The good colonel's survival of the sinking was only part luck. First class had a lot more to do with it....