• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One less kittie to feed

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Had to take one of our kitties, Delta, to be put down today. Always hate having to do that. But he lived a good long life (~20 years). He was doing good until mid-last week when he stopped eating or drinking. Nothing the vet could do for him - had a Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). There was nothing the vet could do for him but put him out of his suffering. He was a cat my son adopted from an alley behind his Frat house at college and we took him when Shaun went off to UPT. At least he had a much better, longer life than if he had stayed in that alley.

"Once a cat develops clinical FIP involving one or many systems of the cat's body, the disease is progressive and is almost always fatal."

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Sorry the hear that but it sounds like he had a good run. Pets become like family. We had our cat, "Pettigrew", for 21 years. He was born in a local airplane hanger and was the runt of the litter. Lived outside mostly and only drank water from our lake. It wasn't so much like we "owned" him......more like we "associated" with him.

G

I didn't know they could live that long. Sorry for your loss, looking at the same thing soon.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had more than one live long enough to register to vote. Now down to the last cat. She's about 17 now and still spry. When she goes I will not subject myself to the grief of loss anymore. Lost her sibling, Nimrod, to FIP a couple years ago, Merlyn a year later from who-knows-what .

They endear themselves and become part of the family. A bigger concern is that if we bring another young one in it would be "orphaned" by outliving us. I can't even consider that.

G

When she goes I will not subject myself to the grief of loss anymore. Lost her sibling, Nimrod, to FIP a couple years ago, Merlyn a year later from who-knows-what .

With ya 100%. I thought merlin was the last. Who's inna box?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear that Bas. I'm not looking forward to the day our "old man" Wallace ends his run. He's my buddy, and we've had him for over 15 years. I like cats.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I'm always a little down when I have to put a pet to sleep, but it's just a fact of life that they don't live forever. We still have 3 cats left. One of them, Devon, is pure white and getting on in years. He will probably be the next to go. I don't think I posted about it (just been busy as heck) but we also had to put down our beloved 15 y/o Jack Russell, Rocky, a couple of weeks ago. No more dogs left.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Putting pets down is one of those crappy things in life. We recently put down a 15 yr old cat with cancer, and our 12 year-old German Shepherd will have to go in a few weeks. After that, we'll be down to 1 cat. But that won't last...

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
We've always had a cat take over our house through the years. The first was a Siamese given to us because the owner no longer wanted it because of grandchildren now coming to his house. She was about seven at the time. Lived until about 17, and then just one day gasped it's last while sleeping on the couch nest to me. Buried in the back yard. The next one was a stray that we took in that was fiercely independent and would disappear for weeks at a time in the summer...taking vacation I'd imagine. One year he never returned. After that, one from the pound. A great cat that never said much and started showing signs of a problem a couple of days before it died. We were about to take him to the vet, but the morning of the appointment, he looked up at us, meowed his goodbye, and fell over to breathe his last. He too is in the backyard.

Our current feline friend is a Tonkinese our daughter got us about six years ago. A really great cat that loves to play fetch and sleep on you. You definitely get attached to them, and it's always hard when they leave us.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
The loss of a pet is simply beyond words. I tend to think that our pets have no concept of death and that is the way it should be. Our pets have all been cremated and occupy a place of honor in the china cabinet. As I write this Sam (A shelter cat) is pacing on my desk as it is time for his morning combing. I am so very sorry for your sadness. Hug Mary for me.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That loss is truly beyond words. Years ago my mom talked my dad into bringing a dog home from the St Patrick's Day parade in Indiana. The dog was a tiny collie shepherd pup, barely 6 weeks old. She was all black except for the tip of her nose and tail and four white feet. Paddy became my dog and lived 12 years when we had her put down due to injuries sustained protecting my mom and brothers from an angry mother black bear. I swore that I never wanted another dog after that because Paddy had been such a sweet dog. Until 2 years ago. I was on the phone with a woman about a cancer benefit that I was helping out with in 4 weeks when she said she had to go because her dog was giving birth. There were 8 puppies with the first one born being the only male of the bunch. This woman named him after me and tried several times to get me to stop by to see my "namesake". I was dead set not to have another dog. That changed at the cancer benefit when she placed this little ball of yellow fur in my arms. Danny and I have been inseparable since then.Danny6wks.jpgDanny2yrs.jpg

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Very sorry about the passing of your little fur pal. 20 years was great life span and of course he was blessed to have you as their human.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry to hear the news, boss. Tough stuff.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Basil
Sorry to hear the news. I would recommend to test anyone that is not doing well for FIP. Nasty disease, and knowledge of who is infected when considering treatment who is not is critical in managing it.
Dr Paul

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I now apply a liquid called "Petrodex" daily to the girl-cat, so-far, so good. She follows me into the bathroom every morning and makes NO objection to the treatment. I apply it to her gums with a pair of "Q-Tips" soaked in the liquid instead of the sprayer. FIP won't get her.