• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Busted Windshield

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Healeyites,

I have broken the windshield on my 1961 AH 3000 MKII BT7 and would like to replace it with a Triplex piece of glass rather than the aftermarket variety. I talked to Moss and they don't expect a shipment until the end of September. Can anyone suggest an alternate supplier?

Regards,

Jeff

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
John

Thanks for the lead. I have talked to BCS and they are hopefully chasing one down. Also, thanks for the tip on Autofarm, I haven't heard of them before. I will let you know how it works out.

Cheers,

Jeff

57_BN4

Hi Jeff, I'd like to offer some experiences from my glass installing sagas if it is helpful to you. Having a replacement screen break shortly after installation is not entirely unheard of.

The replacement glazing rubber supplied by some of the resellers is too thick and will make getting the glass in very difficult. One way of getting it in is to use a thinner glazing strip and apply mastic (non setting) sealant to the glass during install.

If you have any rusted out or stripped threads in the corner bracket pieces then the replacement ones are a horrid fit. You'll end up with gaps in the frame which I only managed to close up by cutting and welding the brackets to shorten them.

Once you get to fitting the completed frame onto the car it is extremely important that there are enough shims between the bodywork and the windscreen stanchions to prevent stressing the glass. Cut bits of aluminum to suit and pack them in before tightening up the bolts. With the stanchions installed and tightened it should be possible to lay the windscreen and its chrome bezel into place without any forcing. The lower seal is another game on its own to get fitting and looking right.

Andy.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Jeff,
Can't help with the new glass as got mine from Moss for my 100M. But can definitely recommend the new, thinner glazing rubber they sell. Glass went in very smoothly using this thinner glazing rubber versus the old stuff, of which I still have a new set that will do me no good. Anyway, get the new rubber from Moss, works great.
Regards,
Mike

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
John

Thanks for the lead. I have talked to BCS and they are hopefully chasing one down. Also, thanks for the tip on Autofarm, I haven't heard of them before. I will let you know how it works out.

Cheers,

Jeff
Don't forget your autoglass shops. I needed new glass for my BJ8 and the glass place I checked with went to the mfg who told then that glass for my BJ8 was scheduled for production until after the first week or so of August.