• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1964 Austin FX4-Houston, TX

TexasFX4

Freshman Member
Hello all, I just purchased and slowly starting to restore. The taxi has a petrol 2.2L 2199CC engine with a 4 speed manual gearbox and all original. My only concern is I have white smoke, but I don't think it's burning oil as I can't really smell anything. Any suggestion on this engine or how I can figure out the problem. The car did sit for almost 8 years. New plugs, battery and she does start up without any help from the choke.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Welcome to BCF! My first thought on the white smoke - you may have a coolant leak, or there's water in the fuel tank. Burning oil wouldn't give you white smoke. (I'm assuming the smoke is coming from the exhaust pipe.) Note that a little white exhaust "smoke" can be normal when first starting an engine, especially in damp weather.

You might want to post your question in the "Other British Cars" sub-forum:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/forumdisplay.php?19-Other-British-Cars

Good to have you with us.
Tom

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the site! Plenty of help and interest here. Good luck on the restoration. As Steve said, best way to get around London. We drove into London once, scared me half to death! Wrong side of the road you know. Parked the rental car and rode the taxi's for two days. When we left on the third day to go back up North, I was a nervous wreck until we got on, I think, the M-1.:excitement: PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I live in Cypress TX, I just got a 1976 FX4 Diesel. do you still have yours?

That last post was 4 years ago Basil might be able to email him.

welcome though