• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exterior Wood Help

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am rebuilding my mailbox post and the wood is really dried out and opened up.
I want to skim it with something so I can smooth it out and repaint it.
Now don't say just replace it as the MB is covered under our rules and they are $235 to replace.

So what is the best material to use outdoors for this?

View attachment 27131

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Bondo works really well with wood.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Two part epoxy wood filler. If you have a wide crack mix it with some sawdust.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How much do I need to do a 6X6 4 1/2' tall?

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
More "rules" on a federally protected mail receptacle, no thanks. I could do a photo essay on interesting mail boxes from around here. An interesting paint job or unique mounting system is the norm in these parts. My favorite is down the road there's a box labeled "bills" mounted about 15 feet up but in line with all the other mailboxes. Simple but funny.

I'd use "Glass light" or some such fiberglass filled bondo type product. Better resistance to water than the non filled putty.

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
Wood exposed to weather moves, expands and contracts with temperature and moisture so anything you try to fill the wood with has to do the same or it will soon crack and fail and need to be re-done. There are paintable silicone-based caulking compounds available that may address your problem. DAP, GE, GNS and White Lightning all make them as do other manufacturers. Sheathing the post with something not effected by weather is the only permanent solution I can think of.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No maintenance here :rolleye:

Dec11-2009.jpg

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Still have to have that box out front even with that Elliot

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have the exact same post arrangement in front of my house and it also looks like Hel. My wife has been after me to dig it up and replace it.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do you have covenants that say all mailboxes have to match?

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So I did the Google for more ideas.
This came up.
Just shows to go ya

[h=3]Exterior Wood Help - British Car Forum[/h]www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?90545-Exterior-Wood-Help
3 posts - 2 authors
I am rebuilding my mailbox post and the wood is really dried out and opened up. I want to skim it with something so I can smooth it out and repaint it. Now don't ...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, my development has no such restrictions. However, there is a deed restriction that says "No outside antennas" which bothers some people who want to get a Dish installed in place of cable. I have a Korean neighbor who installed a dish hidden under his deck (to get Korean broadcasts) and I am the only one who can see it (barely!)
He did ask if it bothered me and of course I said that I don't have a problem with it.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
No, my development has no such restrictions. However, there is a deed restriction that says "No outside antennas" which bothers some people who want to get a Dish installed in place of cable. I have a Korean neighbor who installed a dish hidden under his deck (to get Korean broadcasts) and I am the only one who can see it (barely!)
He did ask if it bothered me and of course I said that I don't have a problem with it.

I thought there was some big-time federal court ruling that nearly wiped out the ability of HOAs to restrict some antennas (especially dish)... because it constituted some FCC fair access rule. I know of some condo associations that had to dump that rule; though maybe it pertains to situations where cable wasn't also available. Don't know.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think you are correct Mark in that the restriction probably is no longer enforceable and oddly no-one in the development has any type of outside antenna. I guess everyone is happy with cable.