Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weirdest Topic Ever

Weirdest Topic Ever

I am up in my computer room, we have a little 9" old style CRT TV in there, it has a built in VCR that no longer works, when I am in the room at night and everything is quiet I sometimes hear talking or music. Very quiet, but audible, I always figured it was the kids TV in the other room, it is coming out of the old TV, which is plugged in, but is not on, and does not have a radai, I put my ear up to it and heard the call letters of a local FM station. I know my dad had a radio that would pull in a stations and you could listen in an earplug without batteries, but this is still too weird. Explanations or similar stories? ? ?

Blog Entries
    Chats
    Items for Sale

Re: Weirdest Topic Ever

Sounds like the components are in there that form a rudimentary radio receiver. When I was a kid (around 8yo) we all started hearing voices as we sat around the Kitchen table one night. At first we thought there was someone outside our kitchen window talking, but after a while, we found that it was a radio station that was emanating from a certain point on our kitchen table. It was a formica top table with a metal rim around it. The sound was coming out right at the point on the edge of the table where the two halves of the table come together. It was the weirdest thing. Probably something like THIS going on.
    I have to stop saying "how stupid can you be?" Some people are taking this as a challenge.

Chats

Any chance your FM station also broadcasts in AM?

With AM, all it takes to make a crude receiver is something that acts as a rectifier, which can be just a poor connection of copper wire. Copper oxide (that brown stuff that forms when copper is exposed to air for a long time) is actually a semiconductor of sorts, so can form an AM detector.

Lotta years ago, I ran a headphone extension the length of the house (from the console stereo in the front room to my bedroom in the back); and it would pick up the local AM radio station. There have also been stories over the years of people whose braces would pick up (AM) radio stations, though some sort of contact acting as a detector.

"Back when". a first electronics project might be a crystal diode radio receiver with no power supply and the only active component being a crystal with a "cat whisker" probe. The other components were just to allow it to be tuned (rather than just responding to the strongest signal).
    Google for "cat whisker diode" and you'll get lots of hits. Here's one I particularly enjoyed, talking about how POWs in WWII made radios from rusty razor blades
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8669810_create-diode.html
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71 Stag LE2013LBW waiting gearbox rebuild

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

If my memory serves me correctly, FM radio broadcasts in the same basic frequencies as old analogue TV, or rather they use what was originally intended to be channel 1. probably something is a little bit leaky in the power supply allowing enough power for the tuning circuit to pick up and amplify signals which are very close to what it is designed to pick up.

Yep. The low end of the FM band is 87.9MH. I think TV channel 6 is somewhere around 88MH. At least I do remember being able to pick up channel 6 back in Shreveport at the low end of my FM receiver.
    Mickey Richaud
    '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ~~Thesaurus: A dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary~~

Chats

Err, ummm, exactly what are the voices from the box in the darkened room telling you to do?
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Great Pumpkin
    Chats

For some reason I am thinking the movie Poltergeist
    Don
    "Stick a Wedge in it!"
    Mount Pleasant,SC

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    Err, ummm, exactly what are the voices from the box in the darkened room telling you to do?
    "Buy more British Cars" "Buy more British Cars"

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by TR3driver View Post
    Any chance your FM station also broadcasts in AM?

With AM, all it takes to make a crude receiver is something that acts as a rectifier, which can be just a poor connection of copper wire. Copper oxide (that brown stuff that forms when copper is exposed to air for a long time) is actually a semiconductor of sorts, so can form an AM detector.

Lotta years ago, I ran a headphone extension the length of the house (from the console stereo in the front room to my bedroom in the back); and it would pick up the local AM radio station. There have also been stories over the years of people whose braces would pick up (AM) radio stations, though some sort of contact acting as a detector.

"Back when". a first electronics project might be a crystal diode radio receiver with no power supply and the only active component being a crystal with a "cat whisker" probe. The other components were just to allow it to be tuned (rather than just responding to the strongest signal).
    Google for "cat whisker diode" and you'll get lots of hits. Here's one I particularly enjoyed, talking about how POWs in WWII made radios from rusty razor blades
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8669810_create-diode.html
    Instructions:
    http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...74vXCou57s</a>

Kinda cool:

poltergeist-theyre-here.jpg

Are there any tall radio towers nearby?
    there was a FM 1 and a FM 2 band, I should know this??? think we are using FM2 88-108. FM 1 / TV Channel 1 / Military FM were all close together and caused lots of interference between each other so the Military got that spot to themselves.