Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of paint....

What kind of paint....

So I started off to do the roll-on rustoleum paint job. I've ended up doing an almost nut and bolt resto. I've decided to spray it, what paint can I spray in my attached garage that won't kill my kids and/or get me banned from the house.

I was originally going to just use rustoleum thinned with odor-less mineral spirits, but I'd prefer something more durable if possible.

Any ideas?

Edit: After a few hours of reading, I think any paint that does not have an activator or hardener is safe to shoot at home. I'm leaning towards just using rustoleum thinned with mineral spirits. Temps in the Dallas area will be in the 90's by next month, should not have any issues with drying.

Edit 2: After a lot more reading (I travel for a living and spend a lot of nights in hotels), I've decided it is probably not practical to spray in in my environment. I have an attached garage with no windows. My garage door is on the rear of the house with the driveway sandwiched between the pool and a wooden fence. Even if i paint outside, I'm fearful of paint getting on my stuff or my neighbors stuff.

So, since I'm going to be rolling, I've narrowed the choices down to Rustoleum or Brightside. The costs between the two will be similar. Brightside is more per quart but will not need hardener, MS, and penetrol; Just the interlux thinner. I think Brightside will be tougher paint, but rustoleum comes in more colors.

If Rustoleum it will be Regal Red which is one shade darker than bright red. Brightside only has Fire Red, hard to tell what that is just looking online. I could do something crazy and use the Brightside YELLOW.
    Last edited by David_Doan; 04-18-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    David Doan - Frisco, TX
    david at doan.us
    http://doan.us/blog/

1959 Bugeye - AN5L-26655

Re: What kind of paint....

Look for a low VOC line.

David, Rustoleum isn't all that bad. That's the one reason I went Rustoleum to begin with, my wife has asthma and cannot tolerate any type of fumes or odors. As far as durability I'd counter that the way we drive these cars they get beat up period. Being able to touch up rock chips and door nicks easily is a good thing in my book. Also take a look at Interlux Brightsides, I don't know about spraying but other good stuff written about how hard that paint is and it can be rolled on in one or two coats, buffing is not recommended.
    Jim Gruber
    Dayton, OH
    '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet- Bugsy I - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy II - - '59 Bugeye in a Box Kit comes home. Apr 2013
    Bugsy III - '59 Bugeye - Parts Car comes home - Jan 2014

I used a urethane enamel in my attached garage, it gets everywhere (I sealed up with plastic sheets but not well enough I guess) you could smell it in the house when I was painting, but not too bad (in my opinion) and the wife didn't divorce me but did comment. It honestly won't kill the kids if you keep them out of the garage when you are painting, which I would highly recommend no matter what paint you choose. However, if you are concerned about fumes, the latest paints are water based and designed to be more environmentally friendly, I have no experience applying them myself, but they are starting to use it in the local shops even out here in the boonies.

Obi Wan
    Chats

Had a repair done in water based black last summer and I am not impressed. Not as black as the paint it was supposed to match.

Kurt.
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity

Chats

No other information or experience but it seems like the $50 rustoleum" crowd is gravitating to the $300 yacht paint as it is glossier and more durable.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Chats

Actually 3 qts Interlux Brightside will cost you about $125 on eBay. You will need some interlux thinner if you spray. If you go to bare metal use the 2 part epoxy recommended. All in about $200. That is how I did my car.
    Paul

I know some has had reasonable success with the Rustoleum method but I am not sold on it. Also Interlux makes fine boat paint vut remember, boats are not usually scrutinized nearly as close as cars. I have had great luck with Matrix Systems paint at near half the price of PPG or DuPont. I have done their urethane in my 2 car garage that has no crossflow or exhaust fan. I just open the door and set the compressor outside along with a good fan blowing in to keep the air stirred. With HVLP, all it takes is just a drop cloth on the floor.

If you have gone to that much effort restoring the car, I would strongly recommend giving it an equally good paint job. JMHO, of course.
    Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    '73 MB 450SE
    '04 Saab Arc
    http://enfoprefect.org

Chats

There's always good old lacquer like the Duplicolor Paint Shop: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/ It's going to smell, though. Send your wife to the inlaws or a nice hotel for the weekend and shoot away.
    Rick

Nasty BJ7- 1962 Austin-Healey 3000 with 345hp small block Ford
    Nice AN5- 1959 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite with 55hp Stage V mods

Paul,
    Did you Roll or Spray the Interlux?
    I'm thinking of going White and Interlux makes a whole lot of different shades of white. Cherry Red Interior and would like to do twin red stripes.
    Type of equipement / compressor used?
    Odor?
    Thats my concern, I wiped walls in kitchen down with Top Job on Sunday to clean up some wallpaper residue before painting and I got the "WTH are you using, open all of the windows and doors..." My wife is terribly sensitive to smells and I need to be cognizant of that for the Happy Wife / Happy Life ...
    Jim Gruber
    Dayton, OH
    '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet- Bugsy I - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy II - - '59 Bugeye in a Box Kit comes home. Apr 2013
    Bugsy III - '59 Bugeye - Parts Car comes home - Jan 2014