• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series TF Victor Latest

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TF Victor up-date

After driving my MG TF Victor up until the first of the year, I decided to do a few small projects on it. I'm guess I'm not too good at keeping the small projects under control. As it sits now, the body and a few other pieces are at the painter's for some minor bodywork and a complete repaint. the chassis has been cleaned and repainted. Engine and transmission have been removed, cleaned up and new gaskets and seals installed. Weber downdraft replaced with SU HS4s. It had a dash with lots of aftermarket gauges, so that was discarded and a new one created. It is more along the lines of a TF dash, and I used MGB Smiths gauges. Seats were '70 MGB tan (Ratty) vinyl seats, to be replaced with 65 seats with dark red cloth. Voltmeter in the picture has been replaced with a proper Smiths gauge.
The new color will be a darker red, called "MG Red".
Hoping to have it back on the road in May.:wink-new:
Bruce

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Re: TF Victor up-date

That should be nice when it's done. My 52 TD came with a "custom" dash also, and it's been quite a task to find a panel and the right instruments. I think I have all I need now, at last. I'm not planning to paint, though, since the car had decent paint to begin with.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Nice work on that dash -- the Victor's are neat cars, one of the few replicas I can really admire.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

The Victor exhibits one major flaw in the factory TFs and that is the originals would have been a real contender if they came out with the larger engine as the Victors did. The 55 1500, as mine is, was quite an improvement over the 54 1250, by using a larger engine, but far away from an 1800 B engine. I'll probably get crucified for this but, the Victor was a much better highway cruiser with a more comfortable ride and more power than a factory original TF! For a driver, if I had the opportunity to choose, I'd pick the Victor every time. PJ

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I have to agree with Paul161 as to the Victor comfort level. In addition the the 1800, mine has overdrive and rolls on 15" wheels. On the highway, it really wants to run away. It is a pleasure to drive, in as much as any wide open roadster can be. Sort of like a motorcycle that you sit down in. With the MGB suspension, the ride is a little stiff, the car weighs in at 1630 pounds, but it handles really nice! I would have to imagine that the other flaw that made the TF unpopular was its styling. If you look at the other cars of the time, Austin Healey etc, it was rather dated, similar to American cars of the thirties. People were gravitating to smooth, streamlined cars. Of course, now we think of the styling as "classic", which is probably the large part of its appeal today
Bruce

bgtrn

Hello, Have wanted a Victor for years. Where are they found and what can one expect to pay for a nice driver? thanks, Dennis

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

Dennis, Finding a Victor is a chance encounter to say the least. Ebay motors and Craigs list are a couple of sources and more than likely your best bet. When one pops up, make sure it's a true Victor as there are other copies out there that have been built over the years. The Victor is the best of all bar none! JMHO. PJ

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Here are a couple of recent shots. Time to drive it!
Bruce

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

Bruce, you really did a fantastic job of sprucing her up! Beautiful car. Even though I have a 1500, would I consider a Victor, yes sir and wouldn't bat an eye if one came available. At the right price of course. :greedy_dollars: :joyous:pJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

There's a teaser in the current issue of Classic Motorsports - looks like they're going to highlight a Victor, or similar repro next issue.