Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash lights

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Dash lights

Is there any way to increase the intensity of dash lighting? Seems like there is one small bulb per instrument and it only faintly lights the unit op when I put the dash lights on.

Darth Vader
    Chats

Re: Dash lights

Cleaning the bulb's and guage windows made a difference on mine but I had things apart anyway. Not sure if its worth the trouble otherwise. I'm talking about the small guages with the separate bulb.
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity

Little British Car Company sells some upgrades with more wattage and light, but it gets a little pricey to order multiples, you can get LED lights as well, but a little trickier to get the right ones, many are somewhat directional, like a flashlight, and you want one that diffuses light in all directions or a multiple LED light that shoots the light in multiple directions. If you want to venture out beyond the usual British car suppliers you are looking for a 12 volt bulb with E10 screw base. Google that or search on E-bay, all sorts of things will come up.

Cleaning and painting the inside of the cans white helps tremendously in reflecting light.
    Jim Gruber
    Dayton, OH
    '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet- Bugsy I - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy II - - '59 Bugeye in a Box Kit comes home. Apr 2013
    Bugsy III - '59 Bugeye - Parts Car comes home - Jan 2014

Chats

Start with Jim's suggestion to clean and paint the inside of the gauge case. It does make a big difference.

If that is not a big enough improvement for you, visit Britishwiring.com and look up their bulb holder C614. It uses the newer wedge mount bulbs instead of our car's traditional screw-in bulbs. With the wedge mount bulbs you have more choices for bulb wattage and you will be able to buy the bulbs locally. If you want to keep your original lamp wiring, consider using ScotchBlocks to tap into your old lamp wiring rather than permanently splicing the new bulb holders in place.

http://www.britishwiring.com/Push-in...ube-p/c614.htm
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1
    '72 Spifire Mk4

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Guys, thanks for the responses. I will take advise and clean/paint white to improve "reflection". Also thanks for the site for upgrade wit\ring bulb holder.

Chats

Someone posted a restoration of their gauges awhile back and it involved a strip of LEDs mounted inside the case along with painting the interior white. I've tried unsuccessfully to locate the thread, but would like to review it again.
    Rut
    Rut
    '60 Bugeye, 1275

Chats

In a late model Midget where is the standard ground location for the dash lights?
    Mine have only intermittently worked since I've owned the car and I'm thinking there's a ground lug under there that could use attention.
    '73 RWA car + rust free tub and parts - going to build an Arkley SS!
    '78 Midget - Datsun A15 with HIF4's Dogleg 5 Speed Bugeye Bonnet with Heated Miata Seats
    '80 Datsun 210 w/60 series 5 speed

Rick,

It more likely is in the Light Switch. Those do come apart and you can clean the green out of them. There is a picture of a heater switch I disassembled and cleaned and successfully put back in service at Gerard's WebSite. Hmmm, headlights then are ok, no intermittent with headlights. Could be in the switch but I'm back to thinking about an intermittent ground for the dash as they are all run to a common ground.
    Jim Gruber
    Dayton, OH
    '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet- Bugsy I - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy II - - '59 Bugeye in a Box Kit comes home. Apr 2013
    Bugsy III - '59 Bugeye - Parts Car comes home - Jan 2014

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Gruber View Post
    Rick,

It more likely is in the Light Switch. Those do come apart and you can clean the green out of them. There is a picture of a heater switch I disassembled and cleaned and successfully put back in service at Gerard's WebSite. Hmmm, headlights then are ok, no intermittent with headlights. Could be in the switch but I'm back to thinking about an intermittent ground for the dash as they are all run to a common ground.
    I did replace the light switch with a NOS Lucas light switch early on as the car came without a switch - or more accurately with a lump of melted plastic that was once a light switch.
    Most of the new switch's life it has been a switch that triggers relays for the headlights so those have always been fine.
    The issue is with the dash lights. When they come on they are good and bright (as bright as any lbc dash lights I've ever seen).
    The trouble is that they are intermittent, and more likely to come on during a really good rain storm than any other time.
    Thus - I want to know where the common ground point is under the dash of a 78 Midget.
    I have been under and back behind there quite a few times but haven't seen it yet.
    '73 RWA car + rust free tub and parts - going to build an Arkley SS!
    '78 Midget - Datsun A15 with HIF4's Dogleg 5 Speed Bugeye Bonnet with Heated Miata Seats
    '80 Datsun 210 w/60 series 5 speed