Thread: Period Cloth Wiring Harness Loom Material Needed

Period Cloth Wiring Harness Loom Material Needed

Hello,

I've been searching many "old car" forums this morning looking for a source of wiring harness loom material and I didn't know if you all had a place to buy it in bulk? The tracers don't need to be exact, just close in some fashion. I need to call Rhode Island wire on Monday, but I'm not sure they sell just the wrap. I'm just tidying up the engine compartment as the wires themselves are in great shape, just the cloth is a goner.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff
    Gobs-o-British Cars

Re: Period Cloth Wiring Harness Loom Material Needed

I took old tape used for racing bicycles
    Nowadays they use foamfilled tape, but in my youth its was cotton
    The only thing missing are the tracers ....

DSC_6986.jpg
    The least I can do is keep my CarClean.nl
    Jaguar X type 2.5, 2003 Carnival Red Metallic
    Austin Healey HBJ8L/40871,MkIII ph2 April 1967 now BRGreen

Chats

Jeff,

If I am not misunderstanding your request, I donít believe you can buy just a harness covering for application to an in-place harness. Way back when, Rhode Island Wire re-rapped my original harness. As I remember, they cover a harness by spinning the covering over the wire groups. For a complete harness, they build the wire portion of the harness and then, as in my case, spin the material covering over. The result is a seamless harness covering and something that can not be applied to in-place wire groups as you can with a vinyl tape.

Hope this helps,
    Ray (64BJ8P1)
    Last edited by RAC68; 11-24-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by RAC68 View Post
    Jeff,

If I am not misunderstanding your request, I don’t believe you can buy just a harness covering for application to an in-place harness. Way back when, Rhode Island Wire re-rapped my original harness. As I remember, they cover a harness by spinning the covering over the wire groups. For a complete harness, they build the wire portion of the harness and then, as in my case, spin the material covering over. The result is a seamless harness covering and something that can not be applied to in-place wire groups as you can with a vinyl tape.

Hope this helps,
    Ray (64BJ8P1)
    You're correct on this Ray. I've used Rhode Island Wiring Service earlier this year to do two harness sections for my BJ8. They have the correct loom material and tracer patterns to match the originals. Price and turn around was very reasonable. Service was excellent. I repaired two sections and sent them to them. Best to call to talk to them before you do it so you know how to mark the harnesses because they need to know where to stop the braiding.
    Patrick
    '67 Metallic Golden Beige/Red
    Owned since '72

57_BN4

Hi-Fi geeks use it for decoration of speaker wires. I was looking for some braid to recover the original main battery cable a while ago but it really isn't practical as the braid is machine-wound over the cable rather than applied as a sleeve. I think the results won't look very good for repairing original wires as the braid will stay baggy rather than clinging to the individual wires.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/473550/cabl...or-cloth-braid

Andy.

Chats
    Items for Sale

You might try calling British Wiring and ask them.......