Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overdrive and tranny oil

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Overdrive and tranny oil

Hi guys. I did search, but I can't find the thread from a few month ago about the best weight and make of oil for the tranny and overdrive. I recall that one of you posted a link to a research paper that discussed the pressures measured on the bench using different oils. If you can point me to that thread I would appreciate it.
    Things I need:
    3/8 generator pulley for 1965 BJ8
    Please PM me if you have one for sale.

All the pieces falling off my car were engineered to the highest British standards.

Chats

Re: Overdrive and tranny oil

Sorry - posted info on a TR3 not realizing I was in the Healey section.
    Last edited by luke44; 11-18-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Chats

I didn't see the previous thread on this, but I have been told by several reliable sources (restoration shops, etc) that 30W nondetergent oil is best for a Healey transmission and O/D. The nondetergent part is important because almost all modern motor oils contain detergent. You have to look hard to find nondetergent.

I would be interested to hear other opinions on this, although I suspect it's discussed numerous times.

Keith
    Keith
    '59 Bugeye (in boxes)
    '62 BT7 (recently restored)
    '65 Sprite (restored 30 yrs ago)

Chats

I use Castrol GTX 20-50 in the engine, tranny and overdrive.
    I add ZDDP to the engine only.
    When I turn my Healey on, she turns me on.
    Sometimes it is better to travel than to arrive.
    64BJ8 ph2

Freshman Member
    Chats

I have 30W non-detergent in my non overdrive tranny right now. I bought it at Walmart, it is a cheap brand called 'Accel'

I am going to rebuild an overdrive tranny that I just bought. When it is done I am going to switch oil and use Redline MT-90
    Here is a link to a good article on oil for Healeys. http://www.myaustinhealey.com/austin..._articles.html
    It is called 'Oil ain't oils...'

Tom

Chats

I've tried the redline. I found no difference in shifting, but did find that it leaks a lot more. Being it costs a lot more and it was leaking more, I went back to Castrol GTX 20-50. I change the engine oil, tranny and overdrive oil. I have a magnetic engine oil plug and the tranny has it's own large donut shaped magnet. I don't find much metal on those magnets when doing an oil change, so things seem to be working as intended.
    Last edited by AUSMHLY; 11-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    64BJ8 ph2

Chats

I bought a case(12qts) of MT-90 for 48 bucks on line, no tax and cheap shipping. It does leak out but I probably got a 10 year supply. The detergent suspends the microscopic particles while the non-detergent allows them to drop, safely to the bottom to the gear box. I do find smooth shifting and a quieter gearbox. But this is why they sell different flavor ice cream.

Chats

Hi All,

A while back I came across and posted a reference to this article (www.mgtoronto.com/pdf/Tech/Overdrive_oil.pdf ) that describes how a number of different oils function in our overdrives. It has always amazed me that different manufacturers using the same overdrive (Healey/Jaguar/Triumph/MG/Volvo) seems to have decided upon a different oil. Add to this list the relatively new synthetics and the fact that the old oils have had major formula changes and a good selection is often left to past experiences and the opinion. The experiments described in this article show how some of these oils function when operating in the overdrive and provide some direction.

I personally use MTL-90 synthetic and often find its foot prints on the floor.

All the best,
    Ray (64BJ8P1)

Chats

Here's a question for the guys using redline, which I was once a user. If negatives are it costs a lot more, it leaks a lot more (and out of places it did not use to), then what are the positives? I did not find the shifting to be any smoother/easyer/quieter (which I thought it would be, wanted it to be, but was not. I was even willing to tolerate a bigger oil spot for better tranny performance/protection), than regular non detergent oil, Castrol GTX 20-50. When I changed both oils, Redline/Castrol, neither one showed any more metal particles than the other, so it seems they were both lubricating the gears the same. The shifting was smooth with both, overdrive engaged and disengaged the same with both. What am I missing? Both shifted the same, both protected the gears the same, but Redline costs a small fortune and it leaks a lot more, increasing the small fortune that Redline will make from me. (Maybe this product works better in modern cars that are suppose to use synthetic?)

I take really good care of my car appearance wise and running condition. I stay on top of all mechanical issues and change all the oils regligously. If there is a better product for my car, I want to use it. But found no improvement with Redline. It may sound good on paper, but when I used it, I found no difference. What would be different with my tranny/overdrive than other Healeys' where others say they do. Sometimes I think the way products are written up provide a placebo effect when we use them.
    Last edited by AUSMHLY; 11-19-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    64BJ8 ph2

Chats

It's interesting to hear the different opinions on this and read the different "authoritative" articles. Of the two articles, the one posted by Ray (www.mgtoronto.com/pdf/Tech/Overdrive_oil.pdf) is the only one with hard data concerning the performance of different oils in an overdrive unit. They seem to clearly state that 30W nondetergent oil is the best, so I guess I echo AUSMHLY and ask why Redline 90W is so popular?

I'm not trying to provoke anyone with this. I'm honestly just curious about it. My tranny and O/D are in pretty good shape and I want to take care of them the best I can.

Keith
    Keith
    '59 Bugeye (in boxes)
    '62 BT7 (recently restored)
    '65 Sprite (restored 30 yrs ago)