• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ 7 [# 24937] Restoration Pics

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Here ya go, people...... please take a look.

https://www.calabashcattery.com/4images/index.php?

Work on the site currently being done, so updates, etc...coming....may be down temporarily , at times (uses Lucas electrics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You do not have to register in order to look at the pictures, still somewhat disorganized.

We are trying to do a concours restoration. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Most of the major work is being done by my friend Charlie, who owns Twin Brooks Restoration in Suffield, Connecticut.

Yes, we do breed Maine Coon Cats, also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Peter, need a bit of back lighting to improve the contrast,but what I can see looks very good.---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Peter,

Thanks for sharing the photos .. the repair and paint looks top notch! It appears you are well along on the restoration and will be able to get it on the road shortly.

My one critique on the photos is that many are very dark. It's hard to photograph a dark car indoors with the cameras' automatic settings. If your camera has adjustments, look into the exposure controls to adjust for lighter pictures and you can get much more detail in your shots. Also adding more lights to illuminate the subject will help.

Cheers,
John

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, absolutely!...... I am going to try to get some more pics on Friday morning. The red interior is now installed, and more! Thanks for the feedback, guys, do appreciate it!
Aiming to have the car on the road by the end of May, or earlier if possible!

Best regards,

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OK Peter, I own a BJ7 and am a former owner of a Maine Coon (Cap'n Alzo in honor of my wife's great grandfather, a schooner captain out of Belfast). Perhaps the BJ7 isn't the best of the Healeys, but the Maine Coon is the best cat that ever walked the face of the planet. The BJ7 looks great, my only concern is some of the engine/tranny pics look a little too "green" rather than the steely gray/green. Could be just the camera. What kind of paint are you using øn the motor?

Happy Healeying,
Rick

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Rick - We matched the paint to the original paint that was still on the generator, so it may not be the exact shade folks are used to seeing, but it is original!
We love the BJ7, best or not, it is a darn fine car and will drive a bunch better whenever we get done with it than it did before the restoration!
Roger on the Maine Coon Cats! They are the finest cats ever! We have 5 now, fewest we've had in the house for many years, and love em ! For some better cat pics than the car pics, for the moment anyway look at https://calabashcattery.com

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Peter, which vendor supplied your interior carpet, leather and vinyl? Looks very nice.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Peter,

Looking great! A few of the links on the thumbnails are broken (Idler Arm and Regulator Detail) but overall the pictures are showing much more detail.

Just a few things I noticed as I know you are going for Concours judging. The rear shroud boot opening flange has some rivets along the top that should be painted body color (an airbrush and circular mask works good to avoid overspray). I noticed you didn't paint the engine mount buffers and fasteners in engine green. Is that allowed because they are replacement rubber pieces (like the fan belt) or do you think they should be painted green? Also noticed some engine fasteners and dipstick handle that probably should be engine green. Another item that I'm confused on is the radiator hose clamps. I've read in the guidelines and Anderson/Moment book that BJ7 and BJ8 used the band type clamps (worm drive with Made in UK markings) but I've also seen factory photos on BJ8's with the wire type clamps. I see you have gone with the wire type so interested in your take on this.

Cheers,
John

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Peter, which vendor supplied your interior carpet, leather and vinyl? Looks very nice.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration

[/ QUOTE ]
We got that set from Moss, I think, it was a while ago, deciding that the final fit was really the difference.....and it was! Took a ton of time to get the right fit, but did turn out ok in the long run.

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Peter,

Looking great! A few of the links on the thumbnails are broken (Idler Arm and Regulator Detail)

yeah, I saw that, guess I will have to upload those again....

but overall the pictures are showing much more detail.

Just a few things I noticed as I know you are going for Concours judging. The rear shroud boot opening flange has some rivets along the top that should be painted body color (an airbrush and circular mask works good to avoid overspray).

Right!.....that's not complete yet!

I noticed you didn't paint the engine mount buffers and fasteners in engine green. Is that allowed because they are replacement rubber pieces (like the fan belt) or do you think they should be painted green?

All that does need a good coat of green, which it will get!

Also noticed some engine fasteners and dipstick handle that probably should be engine green.

yep.

Another item that I'm confused on is the radiator hose clamps. I've read in the guidelines and Anderson/Moment book that BJ7 and BJ8 used the band type clamps (worm drive with Made in UK markings) but I've also seen factory photos on BJ8's with the wire type clamps. I see you have gone with the wire type so interested in your take on this.

Hummmmm will have to reinvestigate that, now that you mention it, I can not recall why I went with that style - I think that's what was on the car originally, but will have to check into it.
Cheers,
John

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks a bunch for looking, John, and for your comments! We will both have great cars when done!
Best regards,

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
more pictures next week, after I get more done! Correct wiring harness coming (no lacquered braided,etc...) motor mounts now painted properly, as well as manifolds! Too much work, too little time!

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Peter,

Regarding the radiator hose clamps, the Concours Guidelines were updated in the last few years and the 'official' answer is to use the wire type clamps like you have. Look forward to seeing more pics!

Cheers,
John

looks great,i bought a bj7 yesterday-4/7/05,still have to fetch it from lake george n.y. area.i live in stamford and get over to norwalk often,maybe ill run into you some time[bad choice of words]not many healys around as nice as yours its easy to recognize,like to know who did the nice paint work

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hey, Tony! That's great!!!!! Wonderful to have another BJ 7 in the neighborhood! There is also a nice unrestored one in Wilton! I work in Stamford (at the new MINI showroom:smile:),
so feel free to stop over and share experiences, etc...
I also have been in the area for about 30 years now and know a lot of the local British car nuts....ours should be back on the road sometime this spring, like hopefully late May....in time for the Greenwich Concours.....
Thanks for the compliment on the paint, it was done by my pal Charlie, at Twin Brooks Restoration, in Suffield, CT
Looking forward to meeting up!

Radford

Jedi Knight
I am so jealous, that engine bay looks good enought to eat out of. Espically liked the quality of your braided wire surrounds. You deserve a lot of credit.

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hey, thanks Radford ! I loved the braided wire, too.

Unfortunately, that wiring harness in the current pictures is incorrect for the 63 built BJ 7 model, so it is now being removed and soon to be replaced with a proper item, that having color coded wires, as compared to the lacquer coated braided covered wires, which went out in '58 or so.

Bummer. But, we want to do as "correct" a restoration

hay pete how yadoin?i think you mentioned the new seat covers you used were purchased from moss,is this correct?also i need the red with black pipeing to remain original to this car[my bj7]but noticed moss does not have this configuration in leather only vinyl,is that what yours are?anyway yours look great,maybe ill go that way and forget the leather,thanks anthony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Mine is leather, red with black piping...think I got from Moss, am not sure now, will check tomorrow when working on the car.
Just found some nice, NOS 48 spoke Dunlop wheels! Great shape, never on a car!

Radford

Jedi Knight
Sorry to hear about the braided wire having to come out, but I hear you've going for concours, so what has to be done has to be done. Can't wait to see it done the right way.