• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

frame reinforcement

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
I am following the foam filling the chassis thread with great interest and it leads me to think if I should be doing any other chassis reinforcement to my 67 BJ8 while my engine is out.

I have seen references to torn frames, reinforcement tabs on motor mounts etc.
Is there a single document on how to reinforce the Healey frame for Dummies?

What are the thoughts on the benefits of doing this work, compared to the now non-originality and corresponding effect on the value?

RAC68

Darth Vader
Although I expect that others like JC have identified potential frame strengthening modifications that could or were applied for competition, I have only seen the application of 4 “A” arm frame gussets and the closure of the outer side of the engine mounts. The application of angle iron to reinforce the trans tunnel opening to eliminate shuttle shake will help stiffen the system along with adding supporting plates to the inner fender in where the forward portion of the sills are attached.

I have also added a plate mounted on the bottom of the frame and covering the forward portion of the engine compartment 6” forward of the crankcase and attaching to the front cross member and side rails. Another plate extending from the front shroud to about 3” before the radiator and attached with bolts to the inner side of the bumper mounts is also in place (see JC’s modification on the frame discussion for his modification). Although these modifications were meant to improve cooling air flow at speed, they do add some support and rigidity to the frame structure.

Hope this helps,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

OP
H

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
Gusseting the A-arm mounts and boxing the engine mount is easy enough when the engine is out.
Any additional gusseting on the engine mount or elsewhere?

Is the plate fwd of the engine welded to the front crossmember and side rails?

Any pics so that I can share with my fabricator as he is in Canada and I am in Thailand right now

RAC68

Darth Vader
The gussets mentioned were described in a document in the Healey Archive document (https://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/chassis/chassis_strgth.html). I expect there were other reinforcements made to the rally cars.

The engine compartment frame plate I applied to my Healey was attached to with brackets that encircled the frame at 2 locations on each of the 3 frame sections. Since these plates were primarily applied to direct under-car air flow to eliminate the buildup of high pressure in the engine compartment at speed, brackets were used to allow for the complete removal of the plate without leaving any indication.

I will try to post pictures of the front air deflecting plate and the frame plate as soon as possible.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

PeeVee

Freshman Member
I see this is an old posting, Ray. I have my engine out now and would like to weld in engine mount reinforcements plus some gussets you mentioned. Unfortunately I can't retrieve the archived article.
Any other way to get this? Can you help.

Thanks
Peter

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Peter,

I have attached the original 1999 document describing the reinforcements. Since I applied the suspension pivot gusset with the engine installed, I also designed frame supports to maintain its alignment when being jacked up. Keep in mind that I applied the gusset as part of a frame tare repair caused by a bout of aggressive driving.

Frame Support.jpg Frame Fix.jpg

Robin Astle, BN7 (now 70% complete!)
Leicester, UK.
r.astle@pipemedia.co.ukTo my knowledge, there were three areas which came in for reinforcement on the works rally cars. These were the engine mounts, the front suspension lower wishbone brackets and the tops of the chassis rails where they pass below the rear axle. It must be remembered that these cars had 200BHP+ engines and came in for rougher treatment that the average road car.

Frame Gusset Plate Supports.png

Editor's note: Even if you don't plan to modify your chassis, check out these areas. I've seen quite a few street cars with chassis rail cracks at the engine mounts and flatten chassis rails under the rear axle. Our cars are at least 30 years old and they weren't always treated right.The engine mount mod' was to prevent distortion of the open backed mounting and cracking of the chassis rails. A new back plate is used to cover the open back of the mounting and extends to the bottom of the chassis rail. It forms a gusset each side of the mount at about 45 deg. making the total length at the chassis about 3 times the width of the top of the engine mount thereby spreading the loads into the chassis. The edge of the gussets are folded over by about 6mm (0.25") to increase stiffness.
The wishbone brackets are all fitted with gusset plates to prevent distortion. The plates are about 38mm (1.5") wide, starting at the outer-upper chassis rail and following the bracket edge round, terminating to leave just enough space to get the suspension pin in place and tighten up the nuts. The inner plates extend to the spring turrets.
Worn shock absorbers / dampers or regular low flying can lead to excessive movement of the axle, this puts a dent in the top of the chassis rail which then bends. My car was in this state when I got it. The repair involved temporarily welding the head of a bolt to the chassis at the dent, and with a nut, tightening down on to a spreader beam resting on wooden shims about a foot each side of the dent. Three attempts with the bolt in different places pulled the dent out and straightened the chassis. The reinforcement is to tack weld two profiled plates complete with holes for the rebound rubber, to each side and top of the chassis rail.
In all cases use mild steel about 1.6mm (1/16") thick.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am following the foam filling the chassis thread with great interest

Just consider if you need to do welding on the frame at a later date it may be impacted by the foam. Just a Thought

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am following the foam filling the chassis thread with great interest

Just consider if you need to do welding on the frame at a later date it may be impacted by the foam. Just a Thought
Koeke,

FWIW, your posts are difficult to read with white lettering on a light grey background.