• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3a Chassis Number

Tcraftdriver

Hi All,

Where can I find the chassis numbe ron the 1959 TR3a Ijust purchased? I have the VIN or Commission number and I know where the engine number is but cannot seem to locate anyone who knows where the chassis number is. Any help is always gratefully appreciated.

AEW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've been told the number on the front cross member is not a tracked number and not much use. It will be "Z" something I think. Numbers that identify the car are on the tub and engine. The gearbox number only helps to tell if it is the same age as the car and so does the differential number.

OP
T

Tcraftdriver

I have just learned that the British Car Registry can only check the car's history if they have the engine number and the chassis number. There are a lot of references to the chassis number online but no one seems to know where the number is. The actuallocation of the chassis number seems to be a mystery of some kind.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
VIN is located on the passenger side firewall. It will begin with the letters "TS".

The body number is on one of two brass plates on the center firewall, and will be close to, but not equal to, the VIN.

Check here. for more.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a pic of said tags:

Tags.JPG

As I understand it the upper (painted) one was affixed by Mulliners when the body was built -- that is the body number.

I do not know what is meant by the 'chassis' number -- is it the body number of the number below it that STC put on there?

I believe BMIHT can issue a cert based on the commission number (the sometimes reduntaly named VIN number):

CommissionPlate.jpg

In fact, using the commission number for this is the usual procedure -- they charge extra to do a search using engine, body or chassis number.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #003300">There's a recent thread here about "Brit speak" and abbreviations used on the forum.
CHASSIS can now be added.
On page 71 of Robert Bentley's <span style="font-style: italic">THE COMPLETE OFFICIAL TRIUMPH TR2 & TR3 1953-1961,</span> there is what I would call a clarification.
Page 71 of the Manual under GENERAL DATA, Item 4 heading says <span style="font-weight: bold">"COMMISSION NUMBER (Chassis Number)"</span>
so
IMO: English = Chassis
American = Frame and body
That do you think ??
FRank </span></span>

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, looking at my BMIHT certificates it appears they use 'Chassis Number' for what I have always called 'Commission Number'.

Since the plate (see pic above) actually says 'Comm No' I think I will continue to call it that.

OP
T

Tcraftdriver

Thank you Geo Hahn, 6TTr3a and the other guys who replied. A light went on and I emailed Acorn Insurance, ainsurance company in the UK or Great Britain, and asked them the same question. This is their repsonse:

Chassis Number:
These days a car can be insured based on its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), also known as its chassis number.

That clarification is right from Acorn INsurance so it appears that we can consider the Commission Number, VIN number and Chassis Number to all be the same number that is on the tag on teh firewall. In my case it is TS57745L and the L stands for left hand drive.

Thank you to everyone who responsed to my question and al lthese replies eventually led to the answer. This web site is a great resource for anyone with a Triumph car.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
On the bare frame with the radiator out you can look down onto the top of the square cross frame (directly under where the bottom of the radiator was) and you will see a small plate that has been welded to the top of this cross frame and is painted over the same colour as the rest of your frame. It measures about 1" by 2". As referenced above, the number should start with a "Z". I only saw this number on this plate on the my bare frame while I was restoring it from 1987 to 1990. The number on the plate on my TR3A reads Z28 and according to some "experts", the Z is for the subcontract company that made the frame and the 2 = February and the 8 = 1958. My TR3A was completed on Feb. 14th, 1958 so this agrees - if it is true. So if there were say 1200 TR3As completed that month, there must be 1200 frames marked with the same Z28. I have owned my TR3A from new and no-one uses or needs this number. It must have been a "tracking number", used in pre-assembly and during final assembly.

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Don Elliott said:
On the bare frame with the radiator out you can look down onto the top of the square cross frame (directly under where the bottom of the radiator was) and you will see a small plate that has been welded to the top of this cross frame and is painted over the same colour as the rest of your frame. It measures about 1" by 2". As referenced above, the number should start with a "Z". I only saw this number on this plate on the my bare frame while I was restoring it from 1987 to 1990. The number on the plate on my TR3A reads Z28 and according to some "experts", the Z is for the subcontract company that made the frame and the 2 = February and the 8 = 1958. My TR3A was completed on Feb. 14th, 1958 so this agrees - if it is true. So if there were say 1200 TR3As completed that month, there must be 1200 frames marked with the same Z28. I have owned my TR3A from new and no-one uses or needs this number. It must have been a "tracking number", used in pre-assembly and during final assembly.

My frame has Z31, using this logic it was made in March of 1961, the car is a 58 TS23679.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I was only quoting what I had heard that some "experts" said.

Is it possible that your 1958 TR3A was restored onto a replacement frame built in March 1961 ?

Or the "experts" are wrong in their explanation.

Don Elliott, Orginal Owner, 1958 TR3A, TS 27489 LO

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just got down to my tag and it is Z29....using the theory that means the frame was completed after the heritage build completion date of the car which was 2 Sep 1958...
I know this frame is original to the car so I think the theory may be a bit askew.....
my 2 cents

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Some years back a retired S-T design engineer told me the front cross member Z number represented engineering changes along the way. For instance revised brackets for the upgrade from drum to disc brakes, extra bracket on the spring towers for the split steering column etc. The Z number was applied by frame manufacturer Sankeys prior to delivery to S-T and the plate also gave the centerline for body mounting and frame repairs.

Viv