• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 75 TR6 Speedometer bouncing

irishcasey

Freshman Member
Hi, my TR has sat idle from some time. Back on the road and the speedometer needle is somewhat steady but bounces up and then back down frequently. Also sounds like a clicking from under the dash. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this would be appreciated. I believe the trip odometer is working and I also think the regular odometer is working.

Thanks !!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You can remove and inspect the inner cable for damage, but my guess is that the problem is inside the speedo head itself. On my "barn find" TR3, the trip and odometer mechanisms were so stiff that the speedo cable would wind up every time the little ratchet tried to turn the wheel, then unwind while the ratchet was resetting. When I disconnected the trip & odo, the waver went away. Took a couple of iterations, but I finally got them cleaned, polished and lubricated to where the needle doesn't waver today. Of course I also cleaned and lubricated the speedo mechanism.

If you do decide to pull it apart yourself, be very careful when removing the needle. I got a little carried away with one speedo (fortunately one I was just robbing parts from) and the spindle snapped before the needle came loose. Now I twist the needle rather than just pry it up.

M

Member 10617

I had the same problem with my speedometer. It jumped around, made increasingly loud noises, and finally stopped working altogether. I sent it off to be rebuilt, and in about ten days had it back in brand new condition.

But if you try to fix it yourself, be sure to heed Randall's warning, and you might want to look at Anthony Rhodes, Repairing Jaeger & Smiths Speedometers. You'll find it on the web at https://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes

Remember: All your gauges are mechanical (at lease on the early Triumphs), except the fuel gauge, which is electrical.

OP
I

irishcasey

Freshman Member
Hi,

LexTR3, can you tell me where you sent the speedo to to be reconditioned please.

I disconnected the cable at the speedometer and then also disconnected the other end at the small yellow box just on the engine side of the fire wall. This section of the cable is only about 2-3 feet long. The square inner cable moved freely and could be easily twisted in my fingers. Also appeared to have light lubricant at both ends.

Reconnected both ends and the bouncing continues. One thing I noticed after getting the nut on and tightening the cable to the speedo it seems the threaded stem of the speedo is slightly loose. In other words, after tightening the nut to the speedo if I moved the cable a little bit it seemed the threaded stem also moved.

Any thoughts appreciated!

M

Member 10617

Hi, Irishcasey,

One way to check the cable part of the speedometer is to disconnect the cable from the speedometer, hold the end of the square inner cable in your fingers (lightly) and drive a little bit. If the cable turns smoothly, then things at that end are probably OK.

But I don't think you need to do that because it sounds to me like the problem is with one of the gears inside the speedometer itself.

I didn't send my speedometer directly to the person who rebuilt it. I sent it to a shop in Waynesboro, Virginia, and they sent it on to the person who does work for them. I don't know who that is.

I am sure there are people on this forum who can recommend specific reliable shops where you can send your speedometer. Or, you can email the author of the article, Anthony Rhodes, at Rhodes@comcast.net. He would surely have the names of some shops in your vicinity.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you're looking for another source, these are the people who did my speedo and tach resto....

edit: there are also others who do repairs

Margaret Lucas
Mo Ma Manufacturing - instrument repair
13211 Second Street. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Ph (505) 766-6661 - Fax (505) 766-5419
momanm@aol.com

M

Member 10617

By the way... one word of warning.

When you screw the cable into the speedometer, make it snug but not too tight. If you overtighten the cable, you can sometimes jam the square inner cable into the speedometer and damage it.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Nossonger did mine and both the Tach and speedo are steady as a rock now where they use to jump around like kangaroos!

Hond