• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I Need Rotisserie plans for midget

RaserX

Like the title says. I'm looking for plans to make brackets for the front an rear of my midget. I'm goj to use heavy duty engine stands for the base . Just looking for a design to fabricate for the mounting brackets. It can't be that hard... I'm just being lazy... Lol

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I made my whole rotisserie out of wood. I just cut a couple 2x4's to length and ran bolts. (i may have doubled up the ends to clear the body)

OP
R

RaserX

Hey JP,
2x4s will support whole car ( minus engine, rear and trans)? Got any pics? Especially, how you mounted rear end of car?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I had no problem. Let me see what I can find pic wise. I'll look tomorrow.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not a great picture but I hope it gives you an idea. I did draw up plans of sorts. If you are interested, PM me you email and I'll send them.

Attachments

• 29378.jpg
    29378.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 334
OP
R

RaserX

JP your a genius!

That is awesome! I see the basic premis but would like the see you plans.

Simple, elegant and inexpensive. The trifecta.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RaserX said:
JP your a genius!

That is awesome! I see the basic premis but would like the see you plans.

Simple, elegant and inexpensive. The trifecta.

Thank you Thank you Thank you very much. (could you now please tell my daughter. :jester: )

seriously, PM me your email and I'll send it along.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you don't need to have the body sitting at a particular angle you could do like I did and make use of the the plans on Gerard's web site. This is a way to have the car upside down or on its side.

https://tinyurl.com/8bbrttu

I made mine with wheels so I could move it around. There are some photos of mine in my Webshots.

https://tinyurl.com/926ehp8

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You make a good point Nelson, these cars are light enough that many different things will do including a mattress or some old tires to put it on its side. BTW not to hijack the thread but I hadn't seen those pics before - I didn't realize how big a job that restoration was - amazing! and all the more so for how beautiful it is now.

OP
R

RaserX

Thread not hijacked... But, Nelson "sir" get some sun on those legs....( Teasing).

Seriously though Nelson, is there a significants to your stripes? Historical or whimsical? I like them and most excellent job on the car. Top notch.

We now retun you Back to the thread:

JP what would you guestimate the weight of the body shell?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
300 pounds less doors hood & trunk. Two of us carried it onto the trailer to be media blasted. And, I put it on the rotisserie myself one end at a time.

OP
R

RaserX

Wow, I knew they didn't weigh a lot. But, not many three hundred pound car shells out there that I know of. At least it will be easily moveable.

OP
R

RaserX

Hey custom,
That's an interesting design. I like the winch lifted ends. They can raise and lower each end as needed. Cool.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
RaserX said:
Hey custom,
That's an interesting design. I like the winch lifted ends. They can raise and lower each end as needed. Cool.

Yeah. Not mine, btw, I an just a link hoarder. What I like is you can raise it and put the car on saw horses to remove the end supports for spot work in this areas, then reattach, raise, remove saw horses and lower to rotation. Pretty cool. I was planning the dual engine mount set-up but this wooden one looks more versatile.

Pmohn7777

Freshman Member
Hi folks. I am new to midgets and really appreciate the mind share here. Can you elaborate on the actual attachment to the car, front and back. Thanks!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hi folks. I am new to midgets and really appreciate the mind share here. Can you elaborate on the actual attachment to the car, front and back. Thanks!!
we

welcome! For mine (2X4's) I just bolted a 2X4 to the bumper mounts.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I used 2 cheap HF engine stands and mounted one to a 2x6 bolted to the rear and one bolted to a steel plate attached to the radiator uprights. I used a piece of conduit to hold the bases together, but a piece of 1x2 will work just as well. I also mounted HF rubber tires on the engine stands so it would be mobile and delivered it to my painter that way.
Rut

Attachments

• FE50A999-96B1-42DC-8EC8-C5F35D163DE2.jpg
    FE50A999-96B1-42DC-8EC8-C5F35D163DE2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 128
  • FED5DD22-7005-42CF-90CA-E6A4BF5DA92C.jpg
    FED5DD22-7005-42CF-90CA-E6A4BF5DA92C.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 132