• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Counterfeit Mini

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Very Funny!!!!

Bruce

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Some say ANY Mini newer than 2000 is counterfeit!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Some say ANY Mini newer than 2000 is counterfeit!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am one.

Bruce

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
You've got to admit that the MINI is a really nice modern automobile.

huck6

Jedi Trainee
From what I read in the Wall Street Journal, this conterfeit mini site is actually a product of the MINI company.

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
From what I read in the Wall Street Journal, this conterfeit mini site is actually a product of the MINI company.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw an add on TV last night, forgot the chanel, with much of the footage that is shown on that site.

I just couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the add. I'm with others in the opinion that the BMW Minis are "counterfit". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
You've got to admit that the MINI is a really nice modern automobile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice indeed. But call it something else. Had Leyland, BMC, Austin or Morris built it than call it a Mini. Just a shame to see so many cars/names being bought up by other companies. I dread the day when there is only one or maybe two car manufacturers in the world.

Bruce

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
So when JRT or Rover owned the name it was a .......?
BMW did change the name from Mini to MINI (I guess they had to shout it at us)

In your mind, do Jeeps still exist? What about the Chrysler 300? After all, doesn't Mercedes own that name now? (at least 60%)

I am with you about there being just 1 or 2 car companies. It's a frightening thought.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hey, Bruce......I have owned 17 Minis, and one MINI. In my opinion, the new car is fantastic!!!!! Does all the good things the classic does, only doesn't need to be tinkered with constantly to run correctly.
Next time you're in Connecticut, you are invited to drive my new one!
Wish I could bring it down to Bonaire for a test, but if you ever get to Barbados, look up Derek Roach for a fun test drive!

dklawson

Yoda
I also hang out at the Mini Mania web site. A Moke owner there actually had (minor) problems getting insurance with Hagerty because of this BMW add campaign about Counterfeit MINIs. The underwriter at Hagerty didn't recognize the Moke as a valid, production, Mini variant and sited the information "all over the web" about counterfeit Minis.

I like seeing the MINIs all over the place. What I find surprising is that even if my '64 Mini is parked next to a MINI... people don't seem to understand that more than 40 years separates the cars and that they share nothing in common... OK, perhaps they share a spirit. I'm glad the MINI is here but I wish people would stop confusing my car with one.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, Bruce......I have owned 17 Minis, and one MINI. In my opinion, the new car is fantastic!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree more. New BMW MINI is fantastic. Just wish thay had named it something else. Just my opnion. Nothing against the car.

Bruce

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
LOL - The TV commercial was a very cheeky - just like the mini.

Counterfeit or no, old classic or new versions, the Mini has always put a smile on my face...and I’ve never owned one! A red Cooper S, complete with bold white stripes and rally lights, was to be my first car. I misread the sale sign, so what I thought was the asking price was actually the specification for the 1275cc engine.

I think the sale price was $2500. Unfortunately I could not scrap the cash together in 1977 to buy it! But then only a year later I bought a Healey 3000. GONZO

ValveFloatLimted

Freshman Member
Im trying to get a friend whos a graphics design najor to do a copy of the counterfit minis but showing how the BMW minis are the counterfits. The new minis are nice in there own right, id like to drive a cooper S some time i drove a guys cooper with lame stock tires and the CVT still kind fun and i scared the owner pretty good...

RickAnderson

I have owned several classic Minis over the years but I can only have one car at the moment. Since I use it for work the new MINI was an obvious choice. I would have bought it with or without the MINI name because it is an excellent car that I feel captures all of the elements Isogonis was aiming for in 1959, only to meet today's traffic conditions, safety requirements, and buyer expectations. Nothing will ever have the charm of the original MINI because it is impossible to make such a car that will meet all the above criteria.

Mini1000

Freshman Member
Ever since I bought my '62 Mini and started the rebuild, my wife has wanted one...
We went to the new MINI dealership and test drove a new Cooper S...she want's one of those now.
They're cool and all, they handle well and appear to be reliable, but they're nowhere near as cool as the classic Mini.
A Mini's not a MINI's not a Mini. lol.